two days post op

Glen B.
on 3/16/12 4:21 pm - UT
 i am two days post op (DS) i have noticed that i have an insane amount of gas. is this just from the inflation of my chest cavity? i am not eating anything but just drinking water, but still my stomach is constantly gurgling. any tips on how to get rid of these bubbles?

also just sipping the smallest amounts of water causes pain at what feels like the top of my stomach. is this normal?
Glen Bailey
MajorMom
on 3/16/12 8:46 pm - VA
You're on an acid reducer, right? A little trick with water is to add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice and sweeten with Splenda. That might help the pain when you first drink it. Also try it at different temperatures.

The gas and gurgles should lessen over time--you're still healing and they're going to gurgle for a few weeks.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

buffalobillsfan
on 3/17/12 12:00 am - CA
I had this also.  I was huge from air in my upper body and edema in my lower body after surgery.  Every time I drank I would have to tap on the middle of my chest to curb the bubbles.  What helped me was hot tea.  It will go down over time.  Walk as much as you can comfortably handle.  My bloat took about a week to go away completely.  It's very uncomfortable.  I couldn't even lean forward I was so bloated.  

Cheers,
Cathy

Valerie G.
on 3/17/12 5:44 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If your DS was laparoscopic, then that air they pumped into you needs to work its way out.  The best you can do is walk, walk, walk it out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dreamgenie84003
on 3/17/12 8:47 am - American fork, UT

my advice is to get a heating pad, I actually got a heating blanket and spread it across my abdoment, it really helped in a lot of ways.  as for the sipping goes, that is the hardest thing for me because I like to gulp my drinks.  I've found that I have to take 2-3 sips and then let it settle before drinking more.  Its like a bubble has to come up before I can drink more.

-VolsDiva-
on 3/17/12 11:29 am - Orange County :), TN
I know you probably don't feel like it, but walking really does wonders for the gas pain.
galla1
on 3/17/12 11:42 am
 Congrats!!! Walk walk sip sip!! I also was never a person who liked my water cold preop but right after surgery ice ice cold water felt soooo goood!! Good luck
AundreaSmith
on 3/18/12 1:38 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been having the same issues.  I find when I walk I burp a lot more, but the majority of my gas is lower intestinal and uncomfortable!  I have been lucky to have 3 bowel movements so far and passed a little bit of gas from down below and that felt SOOOO good, but now that my bowels have kicked in I am sticking with Kirmy's suggestion, "Never trust a fart."  I am too afraid I am going to poo myself. 

Walking does help, it's just slow going...I am 6 days post op and still dealing with gas...give it time.  Every day is a little better.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Glen B.
on 3/18/12 4:42 am - UT
 In ever got a acid reducer from surgeon. I have diarrhea all day. 12+ bowel movements a day. Im feeling very dehydrated. It's hard to keep up with all tha****er!
Glen Bailey
buffalobillsfan
on 3/18/12 11:18 am - CA
I had a lot of diarrhea after surgery as well.  I swore that my bowel cleanse was kicking in since I didn't go much before surgery.  If you have symptoms of dehydration such as dizziness, call your surgeon immediately.  You might want to call him and ask about ways to curb the diarrhea and get suggestions or a prescription for acid reducer.  It will get better!!!!  This is the yucky time.  Your body has been thru major surgery and your insides are all different.  It takes time to adjust.  Take care of the symptoms so you can feel better. 

Most Active