Post surgical abdominal pain, any suggestions?

goodkel
on 3/20/12 12:55 pm
On March 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM Pacific Time, AundreaSmith wrote:
You know an abdominal binder would be nice, but I was never given one!  When I walk I have my right hand pushed into my belly to ease the discomfort.  Is that something I could buy now? 

I will start to ease off the ice for a bit, you may be right and all it is doing is prolonging the discomfort.  I just handed them off to my Husband...LOL.

I am weaning down on the Lortab, the taste is horrible and I find it just really makes me drowsy.  The Valium is nice, it eases my abdomen and my lower back (because my posture is compensating until I get to an "upright" position and walk.)

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am moving around a lot better.  Getting up and down isn't so bad as it was.  What I am working on now is trying to get in lots of water and getting in some protein, seems a lot harder than I originally anticipated.
3/20/12 10:54 pm:

An Ace bandage wrapped firmly, but not too tightly, around your abdomen will help provide support without buying a binder at this point.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Julie R.
on 3/18/12 9:54 am - Ludington, MI
 You sound perfectly normal, unfortunately, LOL.     You will likely find your improvement quite dramatic over the next few days.  Keep moving - it's good for you on many levels.    

Don't worry so much about the protein (even though GHP makes you feel like an idiot if you are not blithely gulping down 70 g of protein by the third day post-op) and concern yourself primarily with getting those fluids in!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

AundreaSmith
on 3/19/12 7:05 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I am certainly trying my best with regards to fluids.  I am really, REALLY struggling with trying to get down 64oz of water and all that protein.  I am typically getting in a good 32oz of water and about 2-3 suppliments of protein so 28-35g of protein.  I know it's not a lot, but it seems like I am drinking all the time and I feel really bloated.  I don't want to cause a leak by over doing the fluids, when I feel full I stop and start up a little later.  But my family is right on me to drink/eat...and I just don't have the desire.  I would love to actually EAT something, rather than drinking everything. 

I am just patiently waiting until I can have some greek yogurt and refried beans....yummmmmmm.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155