Post surgical abdominal pain, any suggestions?

AundreaSmith
on 3/16/12 4:28 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Afternoon all!

I have spent my first full day at home and haven't really been able to get too comfortable for my rest times.  Dr. Kemmeter did warn me that I am going to be pretty sore for a few weeks on my right side because of the scar tissue that he had to work through and the pulling of the muscle wall.  Unfortunately, while in the hospital I did shower and I believe tugged at an internal stitch.

I have been on Lortab and Valium for the pain and have been keeping the area iced which feels really good.  However, it's still pretty painful when standing and walking...any suggestions to what worked for you?  Walking is helping ease the pain, but maybe I just need to give it time.  I just wasn't sure if having a warm shower or something along those lines would help ease the discomfort.

The incisions are normal, bruised and healing, so I am not worried about infection.   Just curious if anyone had any good suggestions to help ease the discomfort a bit.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

newyorkbitch
on 3/16/12 6:56 am
 Who prescribed Valium?  Is it for anxiety?

You just had abdominal surgery.  Of course you are uncomfortable. It will take time.
b1751
on 3/16/12 8:46 am
You said you've been keeping the area iced. You may actually be making the pain worse. Don't leave the ice on for more than 15 minutes, and allow at least 2hrs between. Keeping it on any longer than that will actually delay the healing, and cause you more pain.

If the pain gets bad, call the doctor. Hope you feel better soon!
Sandra C.
on 3/16/12 11:13 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Give it time. After the first week, you will feel like a different person. just relax. I had 2 incisions that hurt more than the others. I pulled a stitch too, it bled for a few days, then stopped. Not a big problem for me. They did a pressure dressing on it to stop the bleeding. hope you feel better soon.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

neacres100
on 3/16/12 12:41 pm - NJ

Give it some time.  Gosh, I remember with me, I was in so much pain, nothing felt right.  I had my entire insides cut away of cement adhesions from my organs.  I didn't sleep right for weeks.  Sat in a recliner most of the time with lots of pillows....slept in that chair as well, reclined.  Walking hurt, sitting hurt, never mind trying to get in and out of bed....nope....not a chance.   In time, the pain got less and less.  Your insides just have to heal.  If you aren't running a temp, and if the incisions are not red and inflamed and not oozing.....just give yourself some time.  Slowly.....small baby steps.  move a lot slower.  It does get better.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
lk1970
on 3/16/12 10:31 pm
Hi honey look at you posting!
Give it a few days... for some it takes a few weeks. You did just have major surgery! Keep on top of the meds and rest... remember to sip sip sip and walk around!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

zix
on 3/17/12 7:47 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
I took pain meds until about 5 days postop however I was definitely very uncomfortable for several weeks. I had my DS open btw.
Dreamgenie84003
on 3/17/12 8:19 am - American fork, UT
I had some pain, but I was more concerned about getting an infection in my incisions.  I called my doc, and he told me to put a heating pad on the incisions until I could get in to see him on Monday.  I am almost 2 weeks post-op.  The only heating pad we could find was actually a heating blanket, I folded this us and spread it across my abdomen, and it actually releived a lot of pain I didn't know I was feeling.  My advice is to stop with the ice and try a heating pad, it worked wonders for my gas pains too!
Monique A.
on 3/18/12 1:10 am - NY
Abdominal binder helped tremendously.
AundreaSmith
on 3/18/12 1:47 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
You know an abdominal binder would be nice, but I was never given one!  When I walk I have my right hand pushed into my belly to ease the discomfort.  Is that something I could buy now? 

I will start to ease off the ice for a bit, you may be right and all it is doing is prolonging the discomfort.  I just handed them off to my Husband...LOL.

I am weaning down on the Lortab, the taste is horrible and I find it just really makes me drowsy.  The Valium is nice, it eases my abdomen and my lower back (because my posture is compensating until I get to an "upright" position and walk.)

Thank you all for your suggestions, I am moving around a lot better.  Getting up and down isn't so bad as it was.  What I am working on now is trying to get in lots of water and getting in some protein, seems a lot harder than I originally anticipated.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155