Going ahead with DS Surgery Thursday 3/15 with Dr. Rabkin

Monique H.
on 3/14/12 4:03 pm
Hello Terri,

I have actually had RNY twice as well before having the DS. I stopped losing weight 6 months after my first. I kept working with the doc and nut and nothing I did worked to get the weight loss going again. The doc decided to revise me to a distal rny and made my pouch smaller. I only went from 272 to 236 before starting to gain again. Due to hypoglycemic episodes I was able to fight for the ds with my insurance and won. I had gone back up to 244 when I had my revision to ds. It definitely isn't as easy for ds revisions to lose as it is for virgins. Whatever you do make sure you give it your all. There were times when I got discouraged and wanted to give up but you have to keep doing everything you are supposed to do. We were really blessed to be given this third chance.

When getting ready to have my revision to the ds I had in my mind that my overall ideal goal weight would be 145. I figured that if I got there it would give me a little room for bounce back weight and would still keep me at a pretty normal weight. Well due to the way I was losing weight I thought maybe I should change that overall goal to 165 because 145 seemed absolutely impossible. Then there came a point where I said to myself if I could just get to 185 I would be happy. Well I finally made it to 173 and was there for a few months and decided that I was ok with that and decided to go ahead and get plastic surgery because that would probably take off the rest of the weight to get me to 165 from the excess skin that I had. Well the plastic surgeon took off about 7 pounds of skin so I was definitely happy with my weight of 166. Well for some reason after plastic surgery my weight loss started up again. Since December I've lost almost another 30 pounds. I'm finally at a normal bmi and I'm 8 pounds below what I thought was my original overall ideal weight. I said all of that to say whatever you do don't give up on your ds. Make sure you follow the plan and it will work for you.

Oh and I don't think anyone could have been more afraid than I was. Dr Rabkin really had his hands full when doing my surgery but he was great. Relax you're in skilled hands. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
AundreaSmith
on 3/15/12 9:02 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hey Terri!

I hope your surgery goes really well!

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

Sheila_L
on 3/15/12 11:31 am
DS on 04/13/12
 Hope all goes well!
Most Active