Very Stupid Question About Weight Loss...

mrsannie
on 3/11/12 8:59 pm
 Hi Guys!  I am very embarrassed to ask such a stupid question, but here goes...

I am 2 1/2 years out and have gained a few pounds and would like to take them off, but its been tougher than I thought it would be, so this makes me think I am doing something wrong.

I was under the impression that calories and fat don't count anymore, and that as long as we were eating protein we would be OK.  I have fallen off the wagon a little and that's why I have gained, but now how do I take it off again?  Do I need to cut back a little on the amount?  I do eat a lot. 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks Anne

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 1:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Its so easy to get to where you want to be and start enjoying carbs again to maintain.  The problem is that you remember why you loved them so much and it can get out of control (at least for me).   Stick to protein and veggies and you should start to see a change.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

alljoy2012
on 3/12/12 7:44 am
Hello all,
i am new to this board but not to wls. i had rny on april 19, 2005. at the time i had my surgery i had never heard of duodenal switch and the surgical group i went to did not do it. fast forward to dec 2011. i started to see more and more information about ds. i am so thankful for this forum because so many of you verbalized exactly what i had been feeling for about 3 years---that i had failed with my weight loss surgery. i lost a total of 80 lbs in 1 year. i kept it off for 4. then the pounds started to come back. i did not stop or change anything i had been doing (exercise, diet). the pounds kept coming back. if i had known anything about ds back in 2005 i would have had it over the r n y.  i n 2009 i had to have emergency surgery related to the bypass. i have been able to loose at most 5-10 lbs in 2 months. it is now 2012 and my surgical group  now does the ds. What i need help with or advice is from anyone who has had r n y, it failed and you successfully got insurance to pay for the ds. i have been assured that this is becoming more and more common. i am 5ft 3 inches and my presurgery weight was 254. at 179 pounds i was in a size 10(i am a pear shape, all my weight is below my waist) i now weight 217 lbs and am in a size 14. it has been a long journey for me thinking that i was the only person this has happened to. i know a lot of people who have regained all or most of their weight after r n y, but i don't know anyone who had ds that gained the weight back. any suggestions are welcome and once again i am thankful for this forum   
Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 8:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 There are several revisions out here - or out on the "other forum".  As to whether or not insurance pays for it, you'll want to give them a call and see.  You're likely close to qualifying for wls again, so if they cover revisions, you could be in luck.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

clpeltz
on 3/12/12 9:07 am
RNY to DS revision is very complicated and FEW surgeons in the country are experienced enough to do it.  Your surgeon IS NOT on the list. 

The Doctors listed below are the ONLY ones that are experienced to do a RNY-DS revision.  The ONLY ones.

Dr. Rabkin, Dr. Keshishian, both are located in California

Dr. Elariny, located in Virginia

Dr. Roslin, located in New York

Dr. Buchwald, located in Minnesota

Of course, the above doctors are in the United States

Dr. Gagner, located in Canada (Does most revisions in two parts)

Dr. Baltasar, located in Spain

Dr. Marchesini, located  in Brazil

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

teachmid
on 3/12/12 9:07 am - OKC, OK
I had a RNY to DS revision 12/10. There are only a few surgeons in the country who perform this difficult revision, take a look at DSFacts.com.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

newyorkbitch
on 3/12/12 6:22 am
Cut the carbs.
Amy W.
on 3/14/12 12:10 am - Buckeye, AZ
I'm in the exact same boat! People on  here said to focus on protein and cut way back on the carbs. I don't know if it's working yet because it's only been a few days, but I'm like you - just confused. I have so many questions and feel dumb for asking because some people are so rude about it.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Amy W.
on 3/14/12 12:36 am - Buckeye, AZ
I just found this at  www.dsfacts.com   (which is a very helpful website! Check it out!) 

When the carb**** the intestines is where the DS may assist in preventing some absorption of the more difficult to digest polysaccharides (starches). A type of amylase is secreted by the pancreas into the duodenum that cuts carbs down into simple sugars. As it passes further, more enzymes break the carbs down into even smaller bits until they are eventually converted to glucose and absorbed by the villi in your intestinal walls.

Because of the switch portion of the DS, the amount of time that a polysaccharide is in contact with pancreatic enzymes is reduced. Enough to stop some of the digestive process? Likely. This is probably why many people have gastrointestinal issues when eating starches. No gas or runs? You're likely digesting them more efficiently and, therefore, absorbing more.

Amy W.
on 3/14/12 12:48 am, edited 3/14/12 12:48 am - Buckeye, AZ
OOh, I found this too! (on dsfacts.com) Very helpful for you and I :)
http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

Too Many Carbs?
Carbohydrates can start sneaking into your foods without you being aware of how quickly they are adding up. For more information on carbs, see our section on Carbohydrates. If you are struggling with your weight loss you may want to examine your daily carb count. You can try to keep your carbs under 50g a day and see if that makes a difference in your weight loss. Do not eat carbs before bedtime as it triggers insulin and initiates fat storage. There are some great web site resources you can use to keep track of what you are eating.

Eating Enough?
If you are under-eating or go more than 4-5 hours without eating, your body will shift into fasting mode, slow your metabolism and conserve your stored energy (fat). This can contribute to a weight loss stall or plateau. Make sure you are eating small meals or small snacks throughout the day and also ensure you meet your daily protein requirements. Try eating some protein with every meal or snack. For more information on protein requirements see our section on Protein.

Drinking Enough?
An adequate level of water in your body aids in the effective breakdown of fat. The daily minimum recommendation is 64 fluid oz of water a day. If you are in ketosis you will need to drink even more water to ensure the ketones are flushed out of your system. You may also need more than the minimum amount of water if you are exercising or live in a warmer or dry environment.

Exercising?
Exercise can increase your metabolism and burn fat. Strength training will build muscles and will boost fat burning. In a stall you can try increasing your volume of exercise or changing up your routine to overcome a weight loss stall or plateau. If you have been doing mainly aerobic activity, try doing a bit of strength training, and if you have been doing mainly strength training, try an aerobic work-out.

The High Fat - High Calorie Stall Buster

Many DSers swear by the fat/calorie shock as an effective weight loss stall or plateau buster. Having a day of higher fat and calorie eating followed by a returning to consistent low carb eating can sometimes "shock" your body back into weight loss mode.