xpost: martial arts & yoga

determineddanni
on 3/11/12 5:43 am

Ok so I want to start Yoga here soon. I was a very athletic person in high school and college and my muscle tone when I start working out always develops really well. Actually almost too well…I was always top weight lifter and my muscles were almost on the bulky side. So I want to get Yoga in for lengthening my muscle tone and increasing my flexibility.

My question is once I do this and start getting my cardio and muscle tone up I want to do martial arts. Will being physically kicked and thrown and knocked around affect my abdomen? As in will it injure me specifically to the DS? Do I have limits as to what type of physical abuse I can take to my gut area?

Can anyone shed some light or ideas?

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

MajorMom
on 3/11/12 9:33 am - VA
I don't know about DSrs specifically but we have LWs that are either into Yoga, kick boxing or martial arts. I haven't heard them speaking of any issues. I want to say they waited to start martial arts until they were closer to a year out. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

determineddanni
on 3/11/12 9:39 am
i will have to post over there:) i don't plan to start martial arts until another 9+ months but i am excited to try it.

yoga i will start once i hit onderland which is only 11lbs away!

i just have so many things i want to do this summer, that i havn't done because i have locked myself inside due to embarrassment:(

when i get down to goal i plan to pick up rock climing! i do a lot of hiking and some of my hiking requires rock climbing. i would love to learn more in a safe enviroment to apply to the hiking. just so much i plan on doing, i will spare the gushing though ... i could go on and on...

MajorMom
on 3/11/12 10:01 am - VA
Only 11 to go until you've lost 100 pounds? That's awesome!  You'll get your LW golden apple if you want one. :)

This is going to be such an exciting journey for you and I'm looking forward to reading all about it. I think starting martial arts in several months will be fine and probably something that will do you physical and mental good. You may be surprised at how vulnerable you feel once you're lost all your weight. Martial arts will be a great way to keep your confidence up.

--gina

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

determineddanni
on 3/11/12 10:11 am
lol no not 100lbs :) onderland meaning almost to the 100's i'm at 211 right now. if i lost 100lbs i would basicly be at goal. i have almost lost 50lbs in 3 months. its crazy!

yea i want to keep with activities to keep my self confidence besides i love to be active and have missed it soooo much. i will also join a co-ed s-ball this next summer. aka beer league lol but i am not a drinker but its always fun to watch everyone else get toasted while playing ball haha

MajorMom
on 3/11/12 10:22 am - VA
Ah, ok. I misread what you were saying...been reading all day and my eyes are fried. lol  

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

determineddanni
on 3/11/12 1:41 pm
thats ok i been on computer all day for work :( i know how you feel

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/12/12 8:17 am
I waited 6 months before I did any type of abdominal exercises (i'd include yoga in that mix- because it concentrates on the core), but then again I had an open DS.

You should be fine to do martial arts at 9+ months out.
Most Active