Considering DS... advice appreciated

fatgirl007
on 3/11/12 8:44 am - atlanta, GA
Hi Everyone,

I am new to obesity help and I am doing research on the DS surgery.  I am considering the DS as well as the lap band.  I am leaning more toward the lap band since I would rather not take the time off of work to recover... and there's only one surgeon in our area who does the DS and he does them wide open.  This scares me.  I have a friend who had the DS and she is doing great however she has a 8-10 inch vertical scar in the middle of her stomach... hence my interest in the lap band.  I am very much on the fence right now and I would love to hear how you're doing post-DS surgery.

Thank you!
Dee

p.s.  My BMI is 47 and I need to lose about 150 lbs.
happydsr
on 3/11/12 9:13 am
 I recommend that you make a decision based on long term success, rather than the intiial few weeks recovery period.

The DS is a life long surgery that will help you lose and continue to maintain that weight loss.  If you make the commitment to the DS, it makes the commitment to you.  I know little about the band, other than reading on OH the large number of failed bands and folks who are revising to the DS to do it right, unfortunately the second time around

the scar is a non-issue.  Some surgeons do the DS laproscopically so minimal scarring.  But even if you hae the surgery open, you will end up with so much extra skin from your amazing weight loss that you will either be keeping your belly and extra skin covered, or you will be having plastic surgery to remove it and your scar will go at the same time.

Learn more about the  benefits of the DS on DS Facts.  Or check out the other board where the vets hang out
MajorMom
on 3/11/12 9:20 am - VA
Welcome aboard. Ditto the advice from "happydsr". Take a look at DSFACTS.com and see the list of surgeons there. Dr Dennis Smith in Atlanta is one I'm familiar with and he may do the DS laparoscopically.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 3/11/12 9:22 am - bay area, CA
You will be living with the consequences of this decision for the rest of your life. To decide based on time off needed from work, or distance to surgeon, or other temporary issues makes no sense.
     The results of the DS speak for themselves. It has the best results of percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost al comorbidities or any wls presently available. It has the most normal diet and eating habits. It allows you to take NSAIDs safely. It has a low rate or re-operation.
      Lap band has the poorest rate of success of any wls available. It has a high rate of reoperation, partly due to late complications, more due to failure to lose enough (or in some cases any) weight or the patient being miserable living with it. It provides no metabolic benefits whatsoever. 
      If your main reason for considering lap band is the ease of getting it, your "interest" is misplaced. Or, if that really is your greatest concern in your decision, you are looking at this surgery from a very narrow and misplaced point of view.
     If you want more info on the ds, check out dsfacts.com. There is also another website with a lot of Ds'ers where you can ask more questions. I'll pm you about it.

Larra
LaShelle2
on 3/11/12 9:38 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Dr. Maynard is not the only DS surgeon in Atl.  Dr. Dennis Smith in Marrietta does DS laproscopically. He is also more experienced and has a better track record than Maynard.

It is highly UNLIKELY you will lose 150 or even 100 pounds with a lapband. You need a DS or rny to get 150 pounds off. A DS will KEEP them off for life.

It sounds to me like you are not ready for ANY wls.  Take a few months to do some research, get out and meet people at support group meetings, go to wls surgery seminars. 

This is a life changing procedure, not a pedicure.  It's not like picking the wrong color and going back for a polish change a week later.

You are NOT READY for this. PERIOD.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Sandra C.
on 3/11/12 9:47 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Research on line about all the possible surgeries, attend many surgeons orientation lectures to learn and get to know various surgeons. Many of  the support groups are hospital based, easy to visit, find the schedules on the hospital sites. Choosing the type of surgery is the most important first step. Picture your life with each surgeries restrictions. Many people are unhappy with their choice, post surgery then want a revision to a better surgery. If you research, you will make a better choice, and hopefully avoid a second self pay surgery. My insurance would only cover one surgery like this in a lifetime.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

beemerbeeper
on 3/11/12 10:55 am - AL
Comparing the DS to the lapband is like comparing a 2012 Ferari to a 20 year old Ford. 

The lap band is the WORST of the surgeries available in every way that is measured.

The DS is the BEST.

I had the DS laproscopically by Dr Smith in Marietta.  If you have any questions send me a PM.

~Becky

fullhousemom
on 3/11/12 10:55 am
I have never personally met, a happy bander. I have, however, met quite a few happy DSers. With no disrespect to you, You would be crazy to get the band.  
WowMomLol
on 3/11/12 7:43 pm - MI

Maybe this is what you are looking for…I am a little over a week post op from having the DS.  I haven’t been on any pain meds in about four days.  I am now able to do laundry (I do have some else carry the baskets), clean the kitchen, sit at my desk for extended periods, and drive with no problems. 

I am tender, but not in pain.  I don’t feel ready to start a regular exercise routine, with lifting weights or jumping around yet.  But walking and getting around is no problem what-so-ever.  As far as eating, drinking water, and taking my meds and vitamins, I have had no problem.  I am still trying to drink enough water and take in enough protein.  My stomach simply says it is always full, but I am getting a little more in every day. 

These are simply my results and I would not claim you would have the same results.  Though I do not believe I am so different than many others.  Good luck on making the decision best for you.

P.S. It might help to put in the search bar at the top – lap band revision to DS.        

Valerie G.
on 3/12/12 2:06 am, edited 3/12/12 2:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
WLS is not one-size-fits-all. You don't want to think of convenience - that's a big mistake, for if you choose the wrong procedure for yourself, your entire life can become an inconvenience. Think of it this way. Is you problem basically "fork in mouth disease"? If you could only eat less, are you certain that is all you need? That's all the band will give you. If you think this is your only problem, I strongly urge you to look into the VSG instead of the band, though. It is a permanent solution that won't erode into your stomach and doesn't need periodic adjustments at $100 a pop.

Now, if that doesn't sound like you and you really think there's more to your obesity than what you're eating, then you want to seek something that gives you an extra metabolic boost, then the RNY or DS is what you want to learn about.

As for the scar, it's really not that big of a deal when you consider the condition the skin of your stomach will be in after your weight is lot. It's pretty heinous, and scar or not, you're not showing it to anyone. Once time and money come together for a tummy tuck, you can lose that scar in the process.

I had my DS open and I took 8 weeks off for recovery. I really needed the first 4 or 5 weeks, and the other time was spent working myself into a routine for work. The upside was that when I returned back to work, I was a powerhouse, hit the ground running, and everyone thought I was tough as nails. Some people are more resilient, or choose to go back to work with a modified schedule or part-time so they can have time to rest. I'm glad with my choice, and gave my boss enough notice that we could tie up all loose ends and prepare for my absence wonderfully.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active