No stool is that normal? surgical date 2/14/12

usandall
on 3/10/12 9:31 am
I can not remember the number of days but I want to say 3 or 4.  Is this normal and is it something I should worry about?  I been thinking about asking someone on here but then I figured it would come but it not................
Thanks for any response
Donna
newyorkbitch
on 3/10/12 10:58 am
a) what are you eating
b)  are you uncomfortable
c) what did your doctor say
usandall
on 3/10/12 1:41 pm
a) what are you eating.  Today I had one protein shake I have found from GNC which I can stomach.  An egg. Cottage Cheese with avocado on top.  Chicken broth. Recently  pistachios.  SF Popsicles at least a couple today.  SF jello.  Cranapple related to my urine becoming concentrated and I have a history of bladder and kidney infections and I am trying to avoid one.  Water all day.
b) are you uncomfortable.  I am on long term narcotic for my back and when it starts to hurt I take it.  I know narcotics are supposed to cause constipation but I did not have a problem before the surgery or immediately after.  I have gone 1 to 2 times a day since a couple of days post op and now nothing.  I was told if you are not pooping you are not losing wt. 
c) what did your doctor say.  My Dr is in Mexico and I have emailed him today but  I have not received a response as of yet. 
I hope this helps if you need more info to assist in determining if this is a problem please let me know.
Thanks
Donna
J G.
on 3/10/12 3:25 pm
I'd bet that  you are not getting enough fat.  Here's what I did in the beginning.  Take some pats of butter and smash in some ground nuts, splenda and cinnamon.  Eat like candy.

In addition to the narcotics (cumulative effect)  calcium and iron can be constipating.
usandall
on 3/10/12 3:54 pm
Thank you I will try that tomorrow.  I did forget to add a yoplait whips I eat daily. Did you just eat the above with a spoon or spread it on something as I am trying to avoid unnecessary carbs.
Donna
J G.
on 3/11/12 6:04 am
I just made it into small rectangular shape.  One bite.  Kind of like Almond Roca, if you have ever had that.  The butter needs to be really cold.  You'll be amazed when you eat it.  It doesn't taste like your eating butter; it really tastes like candy.   You could use a little brown sugar for flavor too.

I started making this one day when I was early out and constipated, like you.  Everybody on our board was telling me to eat more butter but I just couldn't think of what I could put it on and get a whole lot of it, cause that was how much I needed.  LOL. 

I was at a point of being desperate, so I said to myself, "Ok, I am just going to eat plain old butter!"  So I got it out of the fridge put it on a plate and cut it up into small chunks.  Was about to  eat it when the idea struck me, "Hey, this would be a bunch better with some nuts and sugar."  Bingo!  It worked like a charm. 

I think when we are newbies, often it is just really hard to let go of the years of lo-fat dieting and realize that fat is our friend.  I haven't had to make it recently cause I don't have that problem any more. 

HTH  Let me know.
MsBatt
on 3/11/12 12:44 pm
When I'm constipated, I make some Ranch dip and eat it with cauliflower. You may not tolerate the cauliflower this early out, but it's good just off a spoon.
usandall
on 3/11/12 2:40 pm
thanks
newyorkbitch
on 3/10/12 9:57 pm
Have some prune juice.
usandall
on 3/11/12 2:40 pm
I will try.
Thanks