Dr Kemmetter & Aetna Insurance

Jon C.
on 3/8/12 7:32 am - Auburn, WA
Good Morning All,

My name is Jon. I am from the west coast Seattle WA. I am a Lap BAnd paitent. My Surgeon Dr Chebli and I have decided that conversion to DS is best for me. He dose not perform the DS surgery so i am looking for a surgeon. I see High Praise for Dr Kemmeter on this site. I am wondering if anyone can give me feedback on there experience with him especially if you have traveled a good distance to have your surgery with him. Also if anyone has Aetna insurance can you shed any light on the process thru them with me?

Thanks ,
Jon
AundreaSmith
on 3/8/12 8:05 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Hi Jon! 

I am patient of Dr. Kemmeter's and am scheduled for the DS for Monday.  He is a WONDERFUL physician, having met him personally I was completely at ease and his experience speaks volumes!  You can check out their website at www.grandhealthpartners.com.  I would assume that they would par with Aetna, it's a relatively common insurance here in Michigan, however, you would want to check with them directly.

I have found their entire staff supportive, friendly, knowledgeable and kind. 

I hope things work out for you!

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

b1751
on 3/8/12 9:45 am
I can't speak to most of this because I'm still pre-op waiting for insurance approval, but I really like Dr. Kemmeter. He is a "real" person and doesn't talk down to you or act like he is somehow above you since he's a surgeon. We discussed the DS and common channel length and asked for my input on what I wanted. It felt like I was just having a normal conversation.

I live in Ohio, so it's only about a 3.5 hr drive to his office (still makes for a LONG day though) so I can't speak to how his office handles people from other parts of the country. I can say for myself, I've had to go there several times for various appointments. However, I do think it would be worth a call to his office to see what tests you could do locally.

Hopefully some of the Kemmeter vets chime in and give you more information. But I wish you luck. I have no doubt he was the right choice for me.
Jackie D.
on 3/8/12 10:03 am - Hudsonville, MI
Hi Jon!
I'm a veteran Kemmeter DSer.  He is an incredible surgeon and an even more extraordinary person.  I'm almost 6 years post op and he has helped me every step of the way.  I highly recommend him.  Congrats for choosing to become a dser.  Best Wishes to you!

BethR311
on 3/8/12 10:11 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Hi Jon. Dr K is a great doctor, skilled surgeon, and friendly, compassionate person. And GHP is an Aetna network provider. But, I'm not sure that he does revisions. I could be wrong, I hope I am. But I've hung around OH and the DS forum long enough that I've heard about the surgeons that do revisions. There are only a handful, and his name hasn't come up. BTW I live four hours from Grand Rapids!

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
b1751
on 3/8/12 10:15 am

Hi Beth...waving to you in Fort Wayne :)  I live very near the IN border and travel there frequently. Beautiful city!  My husband would say "go komets!"

whatthehair
on 3/16/12 11:56 am - Kalamazoo, MI
Hey there Beth! I was literally just on the Grand Health Partners site, because I'm in the process of getting started, and under his name it says he DOES DO revisions.. 
lk1970
on 3/8/12 11:34 am
Hi,

Let me know if you'd like an email address to start communicating with Dr Kemmeter and Saint Mary's!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Sandra C.
on 3/8/12 12:38 pm, edited 3/8/12 12:40 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Hi jon,
I traveled from out of town for the D.S. and Dr Kemmeter. The whole experience was great!! Dr Kemmeter is a very nice, caring, easy to talk to kind of person, very approachable with any questions. He made me feel at ease throughout the whole process. 

Long distance care is no problem. They booked 3 of my appointments  together each time with surgeon, nutritionist, psychologist, sometimes sports physiologist. On line ability to have my questions answered was the best of all possible senarios. I have e-mailed the nutritionist and Cathy mooney the  GHP/hospital coordinator pre and post surgery as many times as I needed.  They are both my best friends now. Since you live so far away, they most likely will coordinate a post  surgical care plan with your local doctors.

I  asked Cathy how people should get started with them. She said to call this number, below, the girls will set things up. They will send you the basic history and physical forms for you to fill out and return. The first apointment is with the bariatrician either Dr. White or Dr. Lasater. 
when you first call, inform them you are a revision and ask what to do first to get started. Dr Kemmeter did tell me he does revisions. Cathy said they wanted everyone to begin with the orientation lecture, even if they are a revision, because new information since you had your surgery is important to learn. Your distance may necessitate all your appointments clustered together.

I was impressed with everything about this group, compared to the many doctors I have seen over the years. I highly recommend Dr Kemmeter, and St Marys Hospital.

Call: Grand Health Partners- 616-956-6100
E-mail Cathy Mooney-  [email protected]    She can set up your basic info, and chart. ( In your case, I would e-mail her first with your questions, she has the hotel info too)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

WowMomLol
on 3/8/12 12:57 pm - MI

Dr. Kemmeter is my doctor and I am one week post op with him.  He does do revisions.  At my appointment with him in January he mentioned he had done a RNY revision the day before.  Also when I had an appointment with Matt his PA, Matt was telling me how they have people come from all over the U.S. so Dr. K can do their surgery.  I know he is the head of wls at Saint Mary’s Hospital, but does surgeries at several hospitals.  My surgery was at Blodgett Hospital and I saw him coming and going from at least three other patient’s rooms while I was walking the halls.
Best of luck on your journey!

Most Active