Protein = weightloss?

Amy W.
on 3/7/12 6:37 am - Buckeye, AZ

Hi everyone! :) I had DS in Nov. 2004 so I'm not a "newbie", but I sure feel like I am! After having 3 kids I weigh 172 and I want to get back to the 150's. About 2 weeks ago I started walking (& even jogging!) every day, cutting waaaay back on what I was eating all day, started eating lots of salads, and I feel like scale isn't moving! What gives?!?! I know I havent been focusing on protein since i've been eating a lot of salads, but would lack of adequate protien be the culprit to my stalled weightloss?!

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

lillypond...
on 3/7/12 6:41 am
yes you need your protein to help you lose weight, When you eat salad do you put any chicken or tuna on it or cheese or eggs.. Every bit of protein helps..
Amy W.
on 3/7/12 7:25 am - Buckeye, AZ
At first i wasn't... but then I started putting grilled chicken or tuna salad on it! I have eggs every morning for breakfast. Its just so weird that I'm not losing like I should be...

beemerbeeper
on 3/7/12 1:48 pm - AL
If you don't get enough protein you are going to have a lot more problems than some weight to loose.  You will ALWAYS need at LEAST 100 grams of protein EVERY day for the rest of your life.

You need to count your protein and see where you stand.   And if you haven't gotten labs lately here's the comprehensive list of the labs you need to get:

docs.google.com/Doc

There is a lot more information now than there was in 04 about the nutritional and vitamin needs post DS.  Study up!!!

~Becky

Amy W.
on 3/7/12 1:59 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Becky,
I just had labs done and my doctors office called me with the results - all my levels are fine except I'm alittle low on folate. I told the lady I didn't even know ALL the stuff my doctor was checking so I asked if she'd send me a copy of the report. That was yesterday (Tuesday) so I should get by Saturday. I'll scan it and compare with your list!

beemerbeeper
on 3/7/12 2:09 pm - AL
My advice (and what I personally do because I am not a vitamin expert).

Post your labs and all previous labs on a spreadsheet.
Post your current vitamin regimine.
Ask the vets (on the new forum) to advise you.

99.9% of doctors have no clue what we need.  And I am including very good DS surgeons in that percentage.

~Becky

newyorkbitch
on 3/7/12 9:48 am
What is your carb intake?
Amy W.
on 3/7/12 10:43 am - Buckeye, AZ
I'm not sure... but it has to be less than half of what I used to consume daily! Is there a specific number of carbs I'm supposed to be taking in to lose weight?

newyorkbitch
on 3/7/12 8:28 pm
 You need to be sure.  This is your responsibility - y ou need to be tracking your intake using something like fitday,  and you need to know what you are eating.

Do you know how the DS works?  You malabsorb fat but you DO absorb carbs.

Cut out the simple carbs and you will lose weight.  Focus on protein,  water,  vegetables,  and limited complex carbs.  Cut the simple carbs.
Sandra C.
on 3/7/12 2:25 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 I am 6 months out, still in the best losing months , but have been slowing down, after losing 105 lbs. My current suggested diet from my nutritionist is skinless chicken, fish,  low carb veggies. No beef, no pork. 20-30  limit of carbs, up to 50.  little fruit. Not necessary to have carbs to lose. If you have all protein you can go into ketosis , which will release stored fat. ( not healthy to be in Ketosis for very long) Eat as much protein as you want, any time. You wont feel hungry.  Aim for 120g protein a day, min protein is 80g. Low fat protein can be constipating, add olive oil for cooking, and up the fat- cheese. Some do like  low salt bacon, cream, butter. Fats that are hard at room temperature are not heart healthy, not advised. Milk has carbs. Keep a food journal to organize your meals, and keep track of carb, protein and min 64 oz fluids. Count all carbs, even in supplements, like calcium chews.

It is harder to lose weight once the body has made internal adjustments to hold on to nutrition. We were advised to try to lose as much as we could early on post surgery before the easy weight loss window closed.  My losses have slowed considerably for the last month. The closer you are to goal weight, the slower the losses are. Some never do reach their goal weight. Doctors rarely set goals for their patients. It took a lot of pressing to get my doctor to work out a realistic goal for me. My nutritionist said I could stop losing now if I wanted. They worry about taking the weight loss too far.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"