DS and binge eating disorder

JazzyOne9254
on 3/18/12 11:41 am, edited 3/17/12 11:48 pm

I am a DSer and a binger.

The great thing about this surgery is that it has not allowed me to seriously binge! The after effects of the stuff I liked to binge on are way too negative for me now (gas and diarrhea), and besides, only being able to hold 8-10 oz of food at a sitting (I'm 3 years out), doesn't make for much in terms of quantity- I throw up immediately if I get too full. I guess that would make me a binge/purger?
I've experienced that by accident, and with certain foods, in particular breast meat from any poultry. I have transferred my binge urges to food that also helps me get my protein in - like vanilla yogurt, Greek Yogurt (all flavors, even plain when I don't have sour cream for a baked potato!) cottage cheese with canned fruit, Cheese (medium cheddar), turkey and beef jerky, *BACON*, Braised chicken livers, shrimp, scallops.

So, really, binging now for me is just plain eating, because I seem to be eating all the time, at least every 2 hours.

As for the baby, women with the DS can and DO have babies, although most doctors advise you to wait at least 18 months post-op before getting pregnant. Many women who have WLS, including the DS, end up getting pregnant by accident before then.

I've heard having a baby is a challenge for a DSer nutritionally, but as long as you are under the care of a good doctor and dietitian, I'm sure everything will workout just fine for you.

By the way...The DS is a very hard WLS to mess up with regain...that's why so many others whose surgeries fail revise to the DS. I think I read a post here from a woman who claims to have put back 100 pounds after a DS, but seriously, I'm still trying to figure out how she did it. It's a challenge for me to put the brakes on this thing, even after 3 years!

Read and understand the mechanics of this surgery at dsfacts.com

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

M ..
on 3/22/12 7:35 am
It is definetly possible to have a baby after your DS. I am almost 3 years out. Having my 3rd baby, 1st postop. 

My perinatologist and I are following my labs diligently and I am currently 33 weeks with a baby girl in the 49th percentile of growth. I feel great and am eating just like I was pre-op. I have maintained my weight this whole pregnancy.

Good Luck!

maya

Lilypie - (bM9u)