DS and binge eating disorder

jodic1966
on 3/9/12 1:56 am
 Hey Bulldog,

Good for you for getting treatment. I've been there and its good that you want to get that part of your life taken care of before you have surgery.

I can only relate what my journey has been like and advise from my point of view. I really feel getting as many of your ducks in a row before surgery is an important part of what will make it successful. I was a compulsive eater for years and did the whole therapy, treatment, groups etc for a long time. Consequently, when I finally did have surgery my whole mental process has been fairly effortless. I don't have anxiety about binging and I don't beat myself up if I decide to have something sweet (I pay for it in the bathroom which is behavior modification by itself LOL)  At this point I don't look at food as good or bad which is a huge step in overcoming the years of diet mentality. Food to me is just choices...some of which is will nurish my body better than others. 

I wish you the best of luck in researching this life altering decision. If you want to talk further my mailbox is always open  :D

Jodi

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

Emily F.
on 3/9/12 7:03 am
I definitely was a binger. Its much better now. It was a learning curve. I aim to protein and water load early in the day and it helps. I tried OA right before surgery and that helped a lot. You really have learn your new body and how it reacts or you pay. I do know a dser that is seeking help for a binge disorder even post op. So its not a cure all. You will still have the urge. I've noticed when I'm stress I have this complusive urge to stuff my face. You still have to deal with it.
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/12 6:38 pm, edited 3/9/12 6:39 pm
mrsannie
on 3/11/12 9:14 pm
 Hi There!  I too am a binge eater, I think most of us here are to some degree.  DS is a totoally different way of iife and has really helped me.  If you are hungry, you can eat, any time and basically as much as you want as long as you stick to the protein.  Fat and calories don't exsist for us anymore!  Sweets and bread were a hard give up I won't lie, and I do still indulge, but I pay the price and that keeps me from doing it too much!

The advantage of this surgery is the low regain.  I am 2 1/2 years out, I lost 90, and gained about 10 lbs back, but that goes up and down.  I am still a size 8/10 and I keep it in check, it's much easier now.  I am thankful everyday for the DS, and this site or I would have never known about it.

Life is good again!  

PM me if you'd like to talk more.
Good Luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Jackie P.
on 3/11/12 10:33 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
The DS sounds really great. I realize lots of things to contend with though. Frustrating that I may not be able to get it, if I don't qualify....
nightowl
on 3/12/12 5:31 pm - Topeka, KS
I don't know how much you are tied to a job, family responsibilities, etc. in your province, or how much French competence would be needed, but I have thought that if were in your spot, I might seriously move to Quebec, if they approve the DS more reasonably.  Of course, I'm single, not working/on disability for mental problems.  I just lurked over on the Quebec board, and I didn't really see DS talk, so I'm not quite sure.  I know DSfacts.com lists several DS surgeons at Laval, and I know the DS has been done there a long time (and I am not getting into Dr. Gagner).  When I lurked at the Quebec forum, I saw some references to wait times of 2-3 years for sleeves or RNYs, but I guess that varies by doctor?  I think there was one reference to a doctor who would have a wait time of 10 years (!), but he would be retired by then, so is not accepting people to a waiting list if using govt. insurance, but will take self-pays and get them in in a few months.  Perhaps you could start a new question here and/or on that board about the feasibility of the DS in Quebec using provincial insurance, if that is a possibility for you.  Even if the wait is, say, three years, that is still sooner than I could come up with self-pay money.
mrsannie
on 3/13/12 10:01 pm
 Nothing is perfect, but I would do it again in a minute!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
tesselyn
on 3/12/12 2:44 am
Good Day
I had my DS in 2005.
And yes I am a recovery binge eater!
Let me tell you the emotions I have to face every day is very hard to face without binge eating. Sometime I have to take one hour at a time. And when it is really hard I take minute by minute.
But that does not have anything to do with the surgery. I would have the same problem with any surgery I had.
And people say the DS is best.
Good Luck
junebug
MsBatt
on 3/12/12 10:41 am
For most of my life, I was always eating---because I was always hungry. I'm not sure that qualifies as a binge eater, because it wasn't really a 'binge', but a way of life. My satiety mechanism was either broken, or simply never existed, because I NEVER felt full or satisfied.

Apparently, this was due to some sort of biological defect that my DS repaired. Removing 85% of my stomach re-activated my ability to get full and feel satisfied---far more satisfied than I'd ever felt pre-op---with just a fraction of the amount of food I was eating before.

That said, I do eat a good bit of food---2500-3000 calories a day. I graze a lot, but I do eat protein and fat primarily---and I'm maintaining effortlessly. The DS has proven to be the perfect WLS for me.

Pipps
on 3/14/12 7:52 pm
 Hi Jackie,

PM PatXYZ, she just had the DS with Dr. Hong and I think her BMI was under 50. She might be able to give you some pointers about how to get OHIP on your side (: