DS and binge eating disorder

Jackie P.
on 3/7/12 10:27 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
 Hello,

I am in the process of trying to figure out what kind of bariatric surgery I want. My BMI is 50, and I have been a major yo yo dieter most of my life. I am currently in a treatment group for Binge Eating Disorder. 

Did you get DS and were previously a binger?

My greatest fear is getting surgery only to regain a lot of weight. 15-20 pounds I could accept but am scared of a LOT of regain. I also hope to one day have a baby.

Just don't know which surgery is right for me!

Any tips to help me decide?
Catnip
on 3/7/12 10:44 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Since you are from Ontario the thing you have to answer first is, Are you going to self pay or are you only interested in what is offered through OHIP?

If you aren't going to self pay, then it is an RNY for you.
You can get a sleeve or DS through OHIP, if you have other reasons for not getting the RNY but they only do about 30 sleeves and maybe 5 DS's a year.

If you are going to self pay (and travel for surgery) then i think it is important that you read about the post-op lifestyle for each surgery as well as check out the revisions board on OH.

Check out DSfacts.com for info about the DS.  It is the only 100% reliable source of information about the Ds.

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Jackie P.
on 3/7/12 10:54 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
 Definitely OHIP?.. When I get my surgeon I think I will ask for Dr. Hong in Hamilton as I know he does both surgeries ..

I just wish there was a quiz of something to tell me what direction to go in... Lol
Catnip
on 3/8/12 10:06 am - Ottawa, Canada
 I think you need to get a better understanding of the process in Canada.  You don't get to ask for a surgeon you are assigned to a centre based on postal code.  You see the surgeon at that centre and if he thinks that you have a valid reason for a DS over a RNY then he refers you to Doctor Hong.

You don't get to ask for a surgeon.

if you want to try for the Ds you need to know your stuff forwards and backwards. You need to have a reason to get a Ds,  BMI over 60, a reason why you need to keep your pyloric valve, or need shorter intestines.
 i also think they are going to want to make sure you have your eating disorder under control before they do anything.  

Catnip

Citrate or Bust (a few bones) !
catnip.gif picture by catnipcook

Lisa A.
on 3/8/12 12:03 pm - Canada
DS on 09/21/12
You're right, she will definitely have to do her research!
But Bulldog is very lucky that she IS in  Dr. Hong's centre. She can actually request him for her surgeon's appointment, (I have checked, as that is my centre, and I'm hoping to receive a DS as well) and if she can convince him ( here's the real battle) then she would be having surgery with him. :)  Best of luck to you Bulldog!
Lisa
St.Joes Hamilton- Dr. Hong- Duodenal Switch (DS)
ref-Aug /11                       ultrasound-March/12            internist- April/12
info sess-Jan/12                soc worker-March/12             surgeon app. May/12
nurse & dietician-Feb/12     scope- March/12                 surgery- Sept 21/12
Jackie P.
on 3/8/12 10:21 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Catnip, actually St. Joes is my centre based on my postal code. Based on the three surgeons there, I could request Dr. Hong. Or maybe not. This is the beginning stages of this for me. I am doing my research--right now as well by asking questions and getting opinions from people who have been through this.
Valerie G.
on 3/8/12 2:06 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I'm glad to see you're seeking help with the disorder now, for no matter what procedure you get, it will put your success in jeopardy for sure.  With a BMI of 50, you're in the right place for the best chances to getting to a normal weight.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jackie P.
on 3/8/12 6:09 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
Thank you Valerie! I'm glad there was a program offered near me. It was the program that made me think of even looking into surgery. I just was waiting for the day I could finally do it alone, all the while my life is passing me by..
newyorkbitch
on 3/8/12 10:44 am
How old are you ?
Jackie P.
on 3/8/12 10:22 pm - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13
I am 35 in June.