Wanted RNY, now Leaning toward DS..Thoughts? Questions..

nightowl
on 3/8/12 3:29 pm - Topeka, KS
The program fee is totally out-of-pocket/ in addition to what insurance pays, and is there because the insurances do not reimburse at a rate that Dr. K believes to be fair.  I'm guessing around half of the DS surgeons charge such (or, alternately, do like Dr. Rabkin and Elairny, and refuse to be in-network for most insurers when doing the DS, because these doctors can command a price higher than insurance is willing to pay, and there are patients willing to pay it, and then use their insurance's out-of-network coverage, if any, to help).  If you are opposed to the extra charges, you can seek out a different DS surgeon who does not charge them, such as mine (Dr. Berntsen), or Drs. Anthone, Inman, Buchwald, if I recall correctly.
Sheila_L
on 3/15/12 12:52 pm
DS on 04/13/12
 I will be having surgery with Dr. K next month. When you go to the seminar they will let you know what you need to pay upfront. The amount depends on your insurance.

I have a BMI of 70. If I lost the average amount for any other surgery, I would still be morbitly obese. I want a normal life and the DS will give me close to that. I will have a fully functioning stomach. I have tried for this surgery for years. I could have done the RNY a few years ago. And if I could never get the DS I might have eventually chose it. But it would have been very hard when I know the DS exists. I am so glad I am getting the DS.

Sheila
whatthehair
on 3/15/12 1:11 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
Sheila I'm so happy for you!! I think this really is THE surgery for me! The facts are just so clear to me. Funny thing is that when I started "looking into " WLS 3 yrs ago, my pcp then gave me a print out of the different types, and when I read them, the DS stood out, and I hadn't even done much research at all.
It would be great if my ins covered the up front fee. We will se how the 100% WLS coverage with BCBS really is!! Did you have surgery scheduled yet then???
What area are you from? I'm about 20miles south of Grand Rapids .
Best of luck to you my dear, keep us updated on how you are doing!
Sheila_L
on 3/29/12 2:07 am
DS on 04/13/12
 I do have my surgery scheduled. It will be on April 13. I will be going tomorrow to meet with my nutritionist, my PA, and physical therapist. I think. I also pick up my food for my two week pre-op diet, possible the post-op too.

I live 2 1/2 hours away toward the NW. 

I have been having trouble feeling that it is real. With tomorrow's appointment, I am begining to feel somewhat excited and nervous. I have this fear that something will happen to stop it. I hope these next two weeks go by fast!

I have done a lot of research on the DS. It is a serious surgery, my weight is serious too. And so are the health issues that come with it. I see the malabsorbtion and needing to manage it as a good trade off. 

The more you know, the better. I can only have one WLS. I only want one, so this is it. 

I have been trying for at least 10 years for this surgery. Can't believe it is almost here.

Thank you for reaching out to me, it is nice to be noticed.

Sheila

JazzyOne9254
on 3/18/12 12:13 pm

I think the DS will be a breeze for you!  Of course, you'll have the usual post -op stuff.

I was 397 pounds on surgery day in 2009.  Check my ticker below. a few more pounds and the loose skin and fat deposits come off, along with about 15 to 20 more pounds.

I was amazed when I crossed my legs one day in 2010!  I've been crossing them at every opportunity since!

I have a desk chair at home for my computer that I would have never been able to sit in before.  I have room left on each side now, and can see some of the fabric on the seat.  It's solid wood with electric blue (my favorite color) upholstery.  $12.95 at St. Vincent de Paul's! 

You will love your DS, and you will amaze yourself every day for the rest of your life!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

whatthehair
on 3/18/12 12:33 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
You have done GREAT!!! Thanks for the positive words. I appreciate itso much! And idk if I've crossed my legs since middle school.....I'm so envious of you

If you really knew me, you'd see my heart is honest and pure, your painful words will push me forward on my journey and NOT knock me down! I will succeed this time, for I have the support of a 50 story building, and the love to last a thousand lifetimes! It's time for me to LOVE ME!

Sandra C.
on 3/18/12 2:25 pm, edited 3/18/12 2:46 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Dr. Kemmeter and his group were the best !!! I wouldnt go any where else. The after surgery care close to home is very important. The support and behaviorist lectures have helped me so much with coping with the mental aspects of weight loss, a part of the solution for success.

This weekend I attended the GHP Boot Camp. It was well worth it for all the added information I learned about dealing with the D.S. and other surgeries were adressed too. A majority of the audience was comprised of people who had regained lots of weight with the non D.S. surgeries.
Christine talked about nutrition, and I was able to ask some of my personal questions about foods, and hydrating with plain water. She said at least 32oz of the 64oz should be water with nothing added. I was only counting the shakes, and felt dry mouth all the time. If you ever have a chance to go to this biannual event, I recommend it. Anyone can attend, even if not a patient of GHP. The best part was coming home with a folder full of information, and a bag of sample foods,shake, snacks and calcium to try. The guest lecturer, a surgical veterain was well received. I wonder if she is going to be heading a new support group at GHP? Her entheusiasm is just whats needed for a new group. I hope they can put it all together soon. 

Post surgery exercise and stretching has helped me to be able to cross my legs easily. One of my exercises is laying on my back, knees bent, crossed legs, hold them tight, and do crunches reaching side to side close to my legs. Switch crossed legs. Hip stretches also help with ability to cross legs. Andy, the exercise physiologist can show you some helpful exercises.

Everyones vitamin needs should be determined by their labs. My PA, and bariatrician at Dr Kemmeters works out the best amounts of each vitamin for me, after seeing my labs. Financially you should be prepared to spend more on vitamins down the line depending on your malabsorbtion.  At first my labs came back very high in "D".  All the pre surgery vitamins were given to me in massive doses, to help with the healing process. Post surgery my labs determined the need to elimnate "D" until it returned to high normal of 81. This took months. I was high in a few others as well. The  seperate Meijer vitamins were fine for these months, as suggested by my bariatrition at GHP. Seperate vitamins were used, some were 3 pills a day or more. Now I use the dry bariatric vitamin capsules- 3 a day, and AquADEK suggested by my group. I would never take massive amounts of vitamins suggested by any one but my doctors. Many are stored in the body, and can be harmful to your health if too much is taken. 

My labs are great, therefore I dont need any extra amounts of anything for now. D is in so many foods, calcium and multi vitamins. I must be getting what I need, because my labs show My D is high normal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

SavingMyself2
on 3/19/12 5:25 am
SavingMyself2
on 3/19/12 5:43 am
Thanks for asking this question, I'm in the same spot myself so the timing is perfect!

I'm 13 pounds down of the 20 insurance says I have to lose, that's an awesome start the to the week.

The clinic I have been working with only offers the band, the RNY and the sleeve so silly me thought that's all there was. I have arguments against them all and have kept trying to talk myself into a compromise that I can live with.

Then in my browsing at OH forums this morning I ran across someone's comment about ' the 4th procedure' and - lo and behold, there is the duodenal switch. hmmm. It sounds perfect for me, with my goal being to send diabetes packing for as long as possible. I had already accepted the business about vitamins forever, that's the price you pay for malnutrition saving you!

There is another weight loss clinic in my town which does offer this procedure. SO, I will be heading over to Plan B's seminar on the 5th of April to see what I can learn. And this time I have asked my spouse to go with me, trying to cement all of the support I can into place!

I am so grateful for everyone who is being open and honest about all of these procedures and their issues - it's incredibly helpful.

SavingMyself2
on 3/21/12 3:57 am
I spoke with both weight loss clinics this morning about the DS surgery. They both described the DS surgery as 'very invasive' and said they would only recommened it for those with a BMI of 50 or higher.

Most Active