Wanted RNY, now Leaning toward DS..Thoughts? Questions..

Sandra C.
on 3/7/12 1:59 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Me too, D.S. or nothing!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

whatthehair
on 3/8/12 10:16 am - Kalamazoo, MI
Thank you so much for this information and links!!!! I REALLY appreciate everyone taking time to tell me their opinions and sharing the information to help me. So thanks again!!
lk1970
on 3/7/12 8:09 pm
Dr K is the BEST choice!!! The DS carries the most success, just be realistic, nothing is without a price... there may be some foods you can never eat again, you WILL have to take vitamins and they will cost $$, some people have a hard time with recovery, it's a lifetime commitment! Now that the doom and gloom has been stated, imgaine never having to count another calorie again, not feeling guilty when you eat, fitting in chairs, crossing your legs, mobility, the freedom of being an average size person... I'll gladly never eat pasta again to have all those benefits!
Please let us know if you need anything!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

whatthehair
on 3/8/12 10:19 am - Kalamazoo, MI
Cross my legs !?!? Can I be honest and say I have NEVER been able to do that..... I've always wanted to sit like a lady but I've literally been chubby my whole life! Bless your heart for reaching out to me. Thanks so much!!!
lk1970
on 3/8/12 10:26 am
You can't imagine what a different world it is...
Keep reading on here about the DS, educate yourself!
Again, let me know if you need anything. My story is on the Saint Marys weight loss website... I cried when I saw it.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

Valerie G.
on 3/8/12 2:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
The risks are about the same for either, really, surgically speaking.  The experience of the surgeon is what greatens or lessens those risks.  

The bathroom trips and gas also occur for RNY, too.  I can tell you from my own experience, though, that a couple of short trips (or one longer one) in the morning are all I need to do my "business" for the day.  I'm a corporate trainer by trade, and I never experienced an embarrassing moment with my DS in front of a crowd.  The gas is totally dependent on what I eat, and a complete tattletale that I've been naughty.  If I watch my P's and Q's with what I eat and enjoy a cup or two of yogurt each day, my gas is minimal.

I was looking into the RNY when I discovered the DS.  Once I learned more about it, I never looked back.  I could diet like a champ in the past, but yielded little or no result, so I feel your pain.  The DS changed that for me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fade2Pink
on 3/8/12 4:19 am - Salt Lake City, UT
The surgical complications between the RNY and DS are basically the same.  The recovery time is very comparable as well.  You mentioned many of the reasons that I chose the DS, when I thought I had to settle for the RNY (because I hadn't heard of the DS before finding OH).  Like Val, once I found out about it, there was no going back, no other choice.

There are some life long committments that go with having a DS.  Protein will always be a nutritional goal.  Vitamins will always be part of your daily life.  Lab work will need to be done on a consistent basis so that you can make sure the vitamins you are taking are the right ones and the right doses,etc.  For me, it's not a bad trade off at all to feel "normal" for the first time in my life, to be healthy, to shop in just about any store, to not wonder if it's my diabetes or my high blood pressure that is going to kill me off.  My DS was the best decision I have ever made for myself.  Bar none.

Good luck with your research and your decision.  Nice to "meet" you  :)
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

ladynitewolf
on 3/8/12 6:13 am - BFE, CA
You've heard facts. You've read them. You've digested them. You've boiled them down to what seems to you to be good and bad. You know what's missing from this equation? How YOU feel about the different surgeries!

Once you've done your due dilligance, then it's time to let your heart decide, not your head. Which surgery afterlife makes your heart sing? I spent YEARS researching WLS. But guess what? I only knew about the RNY and the Lap-Band. And both made my heart feel like it was made of stone. I just couldn't do it. But then, one day, I knew that I had to do something, so I decided that even if I didn't like either option, that I was going to get some sort of WLS. So I went to my handy-dandy book of in-network surgeons and picked out the one that was closest to me. And guess what? The only surgery that he performed (at that time) was one I had never, ever heard about - the Duodenal Switch.

So I started reading about it. And what I read? Well, it made my heart SING for JOY! Now THIS was a way that I could live! THIS is what would make me happy! Within two weeks I was having my first assessment at Dr. Keshishian's office. Within four months I was being switched. And here I sit, creeping up on my 6th year of living with the DS. And you know what? My heart still sings about it to this day.

Do not ever underestimate where your heart leads you. Ever.

~ Sarah P. 
Ask me about pregnancy after the Duodenal Switch!

They're here! My surro-sons were born July 21, 2009. Welcome to the world, Benjamin and Daniel. We love you very much!

AundreaSmith
on 3/8/12 8:16 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
I bought the chewable multivit and chewable iron pills at Grand Health Partners, for the simple reason is that I didn't have to shop around!  LOL  So, for the time being I will use what they have and they are "Celebrate" vitamins.  After surgery I will start shopping around and see what I can find that will be a little less expensive.  I figured they had want they wanted me on right on the shelf, so I bought them there to save myself time.

I have Priority Health HMO and was required to pay the $1000 up front and to my knowledge that covers the copayments of SEVERAL office visits (PA, RD and Exercise Physiologist) as well as my post surgical follow up with Dr. Kemmeter.  Other insurances may be different, I am not sure.  However, I think that they don't bill insurances for those appointments so they want the money up front.  It's best to check with them directly.

HW: 404/ SW: 380/  GW: 155

whatthehair
on 3/8/12 10:30 am - Kalamazoo, MI
When I called my insurance a week ago, they said I had to pay a copayment to the NUT or psychologist I think. But other than that I'm covered 100%, but of course I will ask about that at my first opportunity. I was thinking maybe it was that docs policy or something. And I'm sure the preop food I pay out of pocket. I can't wait to find all this out and get started. I signed up for dr K's seminar on march 26th, and it's been a week since my doc sent the referral, well tomorrow will be 1 week, and I haven't gotten a call, so I honestly have no clue who he referred me to. Yup, I'm just ready, excited, anxious, and very appreciative for everyone who's given me such great info!!!
Most Active