I need to find a Vetted DS surgeon in Mexico that I can self-pay with

wittleart1
on 3/6/12 8:54 am
I have been talking with a specific surgeon's patient coordinator for a couple of weeks and through the conversations I asked what I thought was all the important questions to get the answers I was seeking. I have a BMI of 68 and she told me that the surgeon did the DS surgery and that he did it in one procedure. She said I would have to get my weight down to a BMI of 60 before surgery because the smaller my liver is, the better for me and the doctor. Then suddenly yesterday when I was inquiring about any tests that they may want my regular doctor to do during a scheduled physical, she tells me that the surgeon says that I need to get me BMI down to 50, not 60 and if I don't lose enough weight, they will do the VGS instead and have me come back for the DS later.
I made myself perfectly clear that I did not want 2 surgeries and I asked a lot of questions, which she answered to my satisfaction, until yesterday when she changed her responses.
Now I am concerned that they are just trying to get my business by telling me what I want to hear and at the last minute, dropping the bomb on me that I can't have what I want because they really don't do that procedure.
I've read on some of the messages that this has happened to others, so now I want to find another surgeon that I can be sure is able and willing to do the DS surgery in one procedure.
Does anyone have a surgeon they can recommend?
I was planning to have surgery on May 30th and I have already made plans and gotten approval from my employer to have that time off for surgery and recovery.
I'd like to stay with that schedule if I can.
Thanks for any and all input.
HELP!!!
Herman
on 3/6/12 9:01 am
 I don't know who that surgeon is, but the only surgeon in Mexico that you should trust with a DS is Dr. Ungson. 
And you really should contact the doctor yourself.
If you go to dsfacts.com there is a list of surgeons that do the DS and their contact information should also be there
Good Luck
wittleart1
on 3/6/12 9:33 am
Thank you.
I suspected that was the case, but I needed to hear others tell me that. I guess I'm pretty hard-headed. But the good news is, I can learn, eventually. = ; }

I'll look into it.
Did you use him?
Do you know how much he costs for self-pay?
Thanks,
Carla
larra
on 3/6/12 10:42 am - bay area, CA
Carla, everyone here and on the new website as well will tell you the same thing: the one and only vetted DS surgeon in Mexico at this time is Dr. Ungson. Period.
     I did not use him. I don't know his current fee but of course his staff could tell you, and you are clearly good at asking questions, which is a very good thing because otherwise, you would have found yourself in Mexico, having paid up front for your DS, being told you would only get a VSG and not being able to get your time or money back. 
     I don't know whether or not Dr. Ungson has a bmi limit, or what it is. Keep asking questions!

Larra
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/6/12 11:47 am
There is one clinica that is known for terrifying situations, and has recently started telling folks they do DS, but I don't know of any actual person that has had one there. Almanza, Reyes, Bettancourt are some that practice there, but I don't think all. That last one doesn't actually have a medical license at all. That clinica is aggressive, and says whatever they need to lure folks. If you don't want to take my word, do a little research, and it won't take long to find some truly scary stories. 

If you are looking at any DS surgeon in MX other than Ungson, then it's a mistake. 

Sandra C.
on 3/6/12 12:06 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 You should look into a US surgeon. Dr Kemmeter does the D.S in one procedure. He's on the list of prefered surgeons in the country, one of the best. His practice is in grand rapids Mchigan. 
www.Grandhealthpartners.com, and www.Saintmarysweightloss.org

I had the D.S and am very happy with all the pre and post care I received with his staff. I would choose him and the D.S. again in a hearbeat!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Valerie G.
on 3/7/12 12:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Totally Ungson

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Raven300
on 3/7/12 4:51 am
 Most people think of Mexico when they think of heading outside the USA for surgery and are looking for a potentially cheaper self pay option.   There are other places to look as well.  I had my surgery in Frankfurt, Germany with Dr. Weiner.  He is one of the pioneers in the DS so has alot of experience. He and his team are often do one stage surgeries for patients with BMI's over 50 that other doctor's refuse to work on. 

His surgeries are all done laparoscopicly and include the removal of the gallbladder and appendix. Fees also include the tests done the day before surgery including the endoscopy.  The surgery comes with 11 nights in a bariatric wing of a nice little hospital and full after care and followup. I paid $14,000 euros 22 months ago for my DS ($17k at my time of surgery and $18,450 at today's exchange).

Just a thought if you are headed outside the USA.
     HW-345,SW-300, CW-144lbs.  DS 5/11/10. 
     First round of plastics with Dr. LoMonaco 11/8/11  LBL, BL. 14lbs of skin removed.
     2nd round with Dr. LoMonaco 2/8/12 Brachioplasty, Thigh lift,  Breast Implants.

beemerbeeper
on 3/7/12 1:53 pm - AL
What surgeon were you talking with?

There is only O.N.E. surgeon in Mexico to go to for the DS (or any WLS for that matter).  Ungson.

No kidding around here.  This is LIFE or DEATH.

Only one.  Just one.  Ungson.

~Becky

wittleart1
on 3/8/12 8:43 am
Wow! I guess I got my answer now didn't I?
After all, this is about "LIFE" for me.
And about avoiding "DEATH."
"PREMATURE DEATH," actually.
So thanks for the input everyone.
I am working every day, diligently to find the right surgeon for me.
I will keep you posted and probably keep coming back for answers to my many questions.
Grateful!
Carla

Most Active