New Yorkers: What hospital would you suggest to do the DS at?

NoMore B.
on 3/6/12 7:16 am
 Not exactly.  Most all DS surgeons are able to do the DS in one surgery.  There are always isolated cases here and there of people who need two steps - those with very high starting BMI's, revisions, etc.  But in about three years I've only seen a handful of them with other surgeons.

With Dr Pomp, his rate of 2 step DS is much higher.  There were several reports of people going to him for a DS and waking up with only a VSG and having to go back for the second part.  That's the reason he was taken off the dsfacts vetted surgeon list.  Of course there's nothing wrong with him being conservative and I would want a surgeon who puts safety first, but you need to be aware that an inordinate number of his patients ended up wtih two surgeries - whether they knew ahead of time going in or not.  I'm not saying to rule him out, but be aware and ask about it.  
PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 7:20 am - NY
Oh, ok, so that leaves Lenox Hill only.
PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 7:21 am - NY
Well so far from what I am getting from responses is that the DS doesn't seem to be vegeterian friendly, but I'm sure a doctor would be better equipped to answer that.
NoMore B.
on 3/6/12 8:27 am
On March 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM Pacific Time, PlushVeggie wrote:
Well so far from what I am getting from responses is that the DS doesn't seem to be vegeterian friendly, but I'm sure a doctor would be better equipped to answer that.
 Depends on how strictly you follow the vegetarian diet.  Do you eat eggs, cheese?  Fish?

You will need to get in at least 100g of protein a day, for the rest of your life.  Maybe more if indicated by your labs.

They will tell you that being a vegetarian isn't an absolute contraindication, but that you will have a more difficult time planning and getting in your protein requirement.
PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 8:47 am - NY
I eat eggs, cheese, and milk but only in a protein shakes. I eat yogurt as well.
newyorkbitch
on 3/6/12 10:49 pm, edited 3/6/12 10:50 pm
It is very very difficult to maintain good health as a DS vegetarian.  You will have to find ways to eat a lot,  a lot of protein.   And some of the traditional ways like whole grains and legumes - rice and beans - will be very difficult because in a DSer they produce a lot,  a lot of gas and for lots of folks,  bloating and discomfort.  Also,  DSers continue to absorb carbs,  so eating a lot of carb-based proteins will slow your weight loss and quite possibly cause eventual re-gain.

Also,  a good number of DSers become latose intolerant.  Then what would you do?

You have to think very very seriously about this.  For a DSer,  it makes much, much more sense to eat meat sources of protein - chicken,  fish,  meat. At least chicken and fish.  Your health will most likely depend on it.
J G.
on 3/7/12 4:36 pm
Plush, I was a semi-veggie when I got my DS,  I ate like you except that I also included fish.  Stayed like that for about a year, then I decided to add veg-feed chicken.   Now I have added some pork and bison, also.  I am lactose intolerant and I use Lactaid brand milk and cottage cheese.  I can eat cheddar and some mozzarrella.   I do include a few beans (with Beano.)  Also Gluten intolerant.  I have lost 175 lbs and am about 10 lbs from goal.
PlushVeggie
on 3/8/12 1:34 am - NY
Congrats on the weightloss. I decided that the DS won't work for me, but I thank you all for the comments.
airbender
on 3/6/12 7:39 am
I would use Lenox hil-Roslinl, and not use Pomp....only my preference, he seems to do too many 2 stage DS after Gagner left....
newyorkbitch
on 3/6/12 10:40 pm
Roslin
Pomp
Inabnet

The hospital will be determined by which of those surgeons you choose.  Roslin is at Lenox Hill,  Pomp at Cornell-NYP,  Inabnet at Mt Sinai.   All are good.