New Yorkers: What hospital would you suggest to do the DS at?

PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 2:35 am - NY
If I were to follow up and do the DS I was thinking about either NYU or Presbeterian*. Which hospital or doctor would you  suggest?
MajorMom
on 3/6/12 2:51 am - VA
You might want to start your research on www.dsfacts.com.  Pick your surgeon from the list of vetted surgeons there. Great site with lots of good info.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 3:15 am - NY
I want personal recommendations not a list of the different surgeons. My current surgeon I know from my best friend and others. Besides the hospital that I had planned is not there. Thanks for the link though.
clpeltz
on 3/6/12 3:37 am
On March 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM Pacific Time, PlushVeggie wrote:
I want personal recommendations not a list of the different surgeons. My current surgeon I know from my best friend and others. Besides the hospital that I had planned is not there. Thanks for the link though.
Have you been to dsfacts.com yet?  If not, you need to go there regardless.  That is where most getting the DS start. 

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 4:02 am - NY
Yes. I have went there.
NoMore B.
on 3/6/12 4:43 am
 People are asking you because the surgeons that do the DS in NYC dont practice at those hospitals.  For a DS in NYC your choices are either Dr Roslin at Lenox Hill or Dr Pomp at Weill Cornell.  

Dr Pomp was taken off the list because he's done a number of people in a 2 part surgery.  That being said, I know a few of his DS'ers in real life who love him.

The other surgeons in NYC may tell you they do the DS, but if they do they dont have much experience, and will likely try to talk you out of it.
PlushVeggie
on 3/6/12 5:43 am, edited 3/6/12 5:45 am - NY
On March 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, Joanne B. wrote:  People are asking you because the surgeons that do the DS in NYC dont practice at those hospitals.  For a DS in NYC your choices are either Dr Roslin at Lenox Hill or Dr Pomp at Weill Cornell.  

Dr Pomp was taken off the list because he's done a number of people in a 2 part surgery.  That being said, I know a few of his DS'ers in real life who love him.

The other surgeons in NYC may tell you they do the DS, but if they do they dont have much experience, and will likely try to talk you out of it.
  I was looking at Dr. Pomp, so what youre saying is he only does two part surgeries? Dr.Pomp 's face is plastered all over the bariatric hospital website. Presbeterian (sp) hospital. Nevermind Weill and Pres is the same. Lol.
newyorkbitch
on 3/6/12 10:47 pm
Pomp is an excellent surgeon - and if he thinks you need a 2-part surgery for your own safety,  you should listen to him.  He has been doing the DS for a long time.  At least 13 years.

Inabnet the same - at least 13 years.  I also like Dan Herron a lot at Mt Sinai - also doing it at least 13 years - but he is very very conservative about who he will perform a DS on.

The dsfacts list is NOT the be-all and end-all.  Do your own due diligence.

Gagner,  Inabnet, Pomp,  Herron - this was the original lap DS team at Mt. Sinai.  They are all extraordinarily experienced with the DS.

I had my DS at Mt Sinai in March of 2000.  They were all there at that time.  Christine Ren was a fellow,  so was Voellinger.  Gagner did my DS,  assisted by Ren and Voellinger.  When I had my emergency bowel obstruction 2 years later,  the first surgery was Inabnet,  the second one Pomp.  With Herron consulting.  When I was planning to get pregnant,  and when I was pregnant,  I consulted with Herron to work out a birth plan in the event of a vaginal birth or c-section,  because of my extensive surgical history.  He was terrific,  and he scrubbed in during my c-section just to be there in case there were issues.  While I was open, he explored my abdomen very thoroughly,  to see,  while we had the opportunity,  what weaknesses I might have in the muscle wall,  how my mesh was sitting,  etc etc. 

Judi J.
on 3/6/12 10:59 pm - MN
wow, what a fantastic surgeon to do that for you
walter A.
on 3/9/12 10:19 am - lafayette, NJ
new york ***** covered it comply , except for Dr Rubino, www.weillcornell.org/frrubino/  who is alos at cornell and works with Pomp, Dakin,
 I consulted with all of the doctors that were mentioned above gagner roslin pomp, , all of them, Dr Rubinio worked with Dr Anthone in Omaha to get me my DS. as it was too complex for it to be done here,  no problem for doctor Anthone, who does open surgery,