DS or Gastric Sleeve?

bethypoo
on 3/7/12 10:54 am - Canada
 Thank-you for all your replies and support. It is a huge decision and hopefully I can decide what is best for me soon. 

My main concern is long term results as I am only 25 and hopefully got a lot of life left to live so I would want this for the rest of my life. From the research, it sounds like DS has the best long term results of any WLS. 

I never realized or thought about the open surgery that way, but the less time I am out the better!

Anyone heard Dr. Gagner booking surgeries then post-poning then cancelling all together? I know there is one review on here, the most recent one of his where this happened, I am not entirely sure of the whole situation but just wanted to see if this happened to anyone else or if anyone has any other information on this doctor it would be greatly appreciated. 

So once again, thank-you all for your answers and please if you have anything else you would like to add, I would love to hear it!

Carol123
on 3/7/12 11:57 am - Islip, NY
I am mostly a lurker but I felt it was time to give my opinion.
I had the 2 stage laproscopy procedure done 5 years ago by Dr. Dakin, assisted by Dr. Gagnier. I was scheduled for the BPD/DS only to have the sleeve done at this time. The reason for this was because my BMI was 52 and most of my weight was in my abdomen they felt it was too risky to do the whole thing at once. There wasn't enough room internally to safely do it without harming the liver. This procedure only took 1 1/2 hrs. I lost 85 lbs in about 8 months. At this point the weight seemed to stop and after about 6 months I Had the DS done. This was done in 1 1/2 hrs. They now had plenty of room to navigate internally. I continued to loose another 65 lbs after the DS, a total of 150 lbs.The Dr's were very pleased with doing 2 short procedures rather than doing it all at once. They don't like their patients to be under anesthesia too long.
I started out at 328 lbs, and stabilized at 178 for about 2 years. 2 years went by and I decided to have a hernia repair with a tummy tuck and panni removal. After plastic surgery I continued to loose another 18 lbs. I and now 160 lbs. I am 58 yrs old and my skin doesn't swing in the breeze. I contribute this to loosing the weight at a slower pace over the 2 years rather than drastically for 1 year, didn't have to diet to shrink my liver either.
It's been 5 years now and my scars aren't noticeable. No one can tell I had major surgery. It also makes it easier for plastic surgery because there aren't any large scars to be dealt with.
 Whether done in one or 2 stages the laproscopic DS is definitely the way to go. No doubt about it.
I can eat just about anything and take medications with out any problems.
Hope this helps you and good luck on your decision.
My surgery was done at NY Presbyterian Hospital, Weil Cornell Medical Center in New York City. It  is a teaching hospital so you may get a better deal with the costs.

Sandra C.
on 3/7/12 1:23 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 My D.S. was done 6 months ago laproscopically. My surgeon likes to have his patients diet pre surgery to help make room to maneuver close to the liver, and to shrink the fat in the liver to reach the stomach. The amount of weight loss was never an issue. Some lost 10 lbs, I lost 20. Another reason for the pre diet is to get used to being on a meal plan, which helps you get some distance from your food addictions. I have heard of high BMIs needing special consideration with open VS laproscopic options, but not from my surgeon.

Dr Kemmeter likes to do the lap D.S. in one procedure usually, because he said if done in 2 parts, the possible weight loss is not as great as the one time complete D.S. My surgery was longer than usual, 4 hours, due to adhesians from 3 previous surgeries. I had no complications, and an uneventful recovery. I am 57, my skin is not really a problem yet. I exercise a lot, and weight lifting machines are helping tone my whole body. I fully expect to have plastics down the line, and am looking forward to looking as young as I feel, now I have lost so much weight..

I chose my surgeon for  his expertice with the D.S. and  to be able to take advantage of the support group, cognative therapy lectures and topic discussion groups. I have attended the lectures once a week for 6 months, learned so many helpful ideas to make my weight loss efforts successful. In case of an emergency post surgery, I wanted to be able to get back to his hospital where he could take care of me. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Most Active