Looking for BPDDS surgeon in New England

G. C.
on 3/4/12 11:56 pm
Hi! I am new to this particular board and after looking at RenY and Lap, I think I have finally become comfortable with the whole BPDDS surgery, but now I find that it looks like no one in New England does this surgery.Does anyone know of a surgeon who does? Why don't they do it here? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
southernlady5464
on 3/5/12 12:03 am
Traveling to one that does the DS is your most likely option and the option most of us have to do. DS vetted surgeons are few and far between....and just because a surgeon says he does the DS, doesn't mean he does.

Check dsfacts.com for the list of vetted DS surgeons.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

G. C.
on 3/6/12 8:14 am
Thanks. I'll check the list.
larra
on 3/5/12 12:23 am - bay area, CA
Most likely the closest to you are in New York. Check the list at dsfacts.com.

Also, most of the DS vets have moved to a new website, so it's harder to get both info and support here than it once was.  I would suggest you ask there as well.

Larra
G. C.
on 3/6/12 8:15 am
Is there a reason they left???
larra
on 3/6/12 8:57 am - bay area, CA
Well yes, of course there's a reason! It had to do with censorship and other issues here. If you are interested in reading more about life with the DS and getting more support, send me a pm.

Larra
nightowl
on 3/5/12 4:44 pm - Topeka, KS
Dr. Lelan Sillin at the Lahey clinic in Mass. does a few duodenal switches.  He used to be at the Univ. of Southern California for several years and did some there.  Verhampshirite is a member here who used him, but she hasn't posted recently.

Other than that, I'd say travel Dr. Roslin in New York City, or Dr. Greenbaum in southern New Jersey.

Re: your question of why it isn't done (much) in New England, I'm not sure why DS surgeons haven't located there much compared to other regions, especially with such prestigious teaching hospitals in your region.  Nation-wide, though, the surgeons themselves haven't said this directly (that I know of), but I think the main factor in why so few weight loss surgeons do it is because it is very hard to do/takes great skill, and yet is the least lucrative WLS per hour of their labor, in most cases, I think.
G. C.
on 3/6/12 8:21 am, edited 3/6/12 8:22 am
I'll check out Lahey. Thanks.

I just didn't want to travel too far for follow up. Travelling for the surgery is fine, but I thought I understood that most docs wouldn't want to pick up a BPDDS patient (from another surgeon) to do follow up.

I have family in Southern New Jersey, though, so perhaps Greenbaum is an option.

Thanks.
airbender
on 3/6/12 7:41 am
Roslin in NYC, it is not done in CT,MA, RI  primarily due to ignorance/fear
G. C.
on 3/6/12 8:24 am
Thanks. You're the second person to give me that name. I'll check it out.
Most Active