Am I having buyers remorse?

Lisa A.
on 3/5/12 12:35 am - Windsor, NY
I also had a horrible, awful time after surgery. I was nauseous and throwing up all the time. I had one terrible heart burn incident (I never had heart burn in my life) and then my doctor sent me for an upper GI. I had a wonderful radiologist who stayed right through and did the procedure real time since I couldn't drink all that contrast. He said I had acquired acid reflux (which I didn't have before surgery).

My doctor put me on reglan, protonix and zofran for nausea. I literally threw up multiple times a day for 6 months. I also had absolutely no appetite whatsoever.

I had to force myself to eat and it was weeks out before I could do that and forget the protein shakes they made me vomit worse.

You really need to concentrate on staying hydrated. That has to be your number 1 focus. Try ice pops, and I always sucked on ice chips. I also froze snapple and turned it into slussies (they don't crack in the freezer).

Then I slowly introduced foods (wasn't hungry but wanted to live). I did cottage cheese with baby pears, baby food, jello, yogurt. Just go with whatever you can.

I had the worst buyers remorse anyone could ever have. I just wanted to feel normal again and after time you either get back to normal or learn to live with your new normal. I'm almost 2 years out and I can eat and have an appetite.

Some of us just have a much harder time than others. I was always so jelous of those that didn't have any problems. Everyone's bodies handle things differently. Just don't rush things and be patient. You will get through it.

mrsannie
on 3/5/12 8:57 pm
Yes the recovery really sucks!  It took me all of 5 weeks to finally say "I feel better today."  I also had constant nausea, pain and limited movement.  But you should not be throwing up, that is a sign something is wrong, and I suspect its partly what you are eating.  You should not be eating refried beans at this stage.  Your fledgling tummy and system are still recovering from major surgery and need time.  Refried beans are probably too heavy and the spice is not doing you any favors.  Do you have a acid reflux medication?  If not, get one!  I take prevacid everyday, even now, if I don't I still have major heartburn.  Some people will always have to take one.

I also had major second thoughts but the light at the end is that life after the DS is pretty good!  I have my issues, nothing in life comes without a price, and in this case its well worth it.  I am healthy and happy, it feels good not have that 100 lb monkey hanging around my neck anymore!  I can walk anywhere, ride my bike, shop anywhere and basically feel great!  Life is good!

So relax, recover take it slow and you'll feel better soon.  If you continue to vomit call your doc immediately, that's not normal!

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Victorious_one
on 3/6/12 5:51 am - South Central, PA
Your revision was only about two weeks ago--don't they have you on a full liquid diet still?  Beans and cheese don't seem like a good idea.  Try to stick to the eating program they have you on.  I know it can be hard.

I puked for 7-8 months regularly, and had to be fed through a tube in my arm (TPN) because I was malnourished.  It was rough!

I agree with others--please get on acid meds and anti-emetics right away, and concentrate on fluids.  It will help you feel a lot better.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Gigifatsalloff
on 3/6/12 9:04 am
DS on 02/20/12
I was told by week two I could have soft solids and refried beans with cheese are on it. I am now on nexium twice a day and zofran as needed. I AM following my post op regamin. My surgeon just forgot to give me the nexium and zofran prescriptions at discharge! Oops! Thank you to those *****plied. Who knows better than someone that has been through it? Right!

prettypixels
on 3/27/12 12:37 pm
 That is crazy that they forgot to give you those important prescriptions!  Thank goodness you got that straightened out!  I hope you are feeling better!
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

smileyjamie72
on 3/28/12 12:36 am - Palmer, AK

I am glad you FINALLY did get your Nexium & Zofra.

I am SO SORRY you had to suffer!!!!  Below are some food ideas-hope they help & hope you are feeling MUCH better!!!!! 

(borrowed from someone else's blog)

Lots of people ask what to eat after surgery, so she kept a record of the foods that she ate for the first two months after her DS so that others could get ideas for themselves.

Here's what she was eating at two weeks out....

• Cottage Cheese

• Activia Yogurt

• Kraft Cheese Snackables (Each piece is 6 grams of protein and is only one ounce. Colby, jack or cheddar.)

• Egg Salad (I chop the egg small and add full fat mayo.)

• KFC Chicken Leg (I eat very little of the breading, but it does add some flavor.)

• Rotisserie Chicken from Costco

• Turkey Breast

• Roast Beef Rolls (Deli roast beef with Philly cream cheese inside)

• Hormel Beef Roast Au Jus (Pre-cooked in the meat section at the grocery.)

• Cheesecake Factory Buffalo Chicken Wings w/ blue cheese

• Champion Pure Whey Stack Banana Scream (1.5 scoop=34.5g protein)

• 42g New Whey Protein vials (Only when I have to, they are yucky.)

• Revival Soy Protein Chips

Things she added in at 3 weeks out...

• Genisoy Protein Chips (At Kroger in the health food section.)

• Crab Legs (So moist and I drown them in butter.)

• Special K20 Protein Water (Gotta be strawberry kiwi.)

• Very moist, cooked no more than medium rib eye steak

• Small amount of popcorn

• Dry Roasted Peanuts

Things she added in at 1 month out...

• Chicken Salad

• Insides of tacos and meximelts at Taco Bell

• Hillshire Farm Lil' Smokies with a little bbq sauce

• Homegrown Tomatoes

• Pork ribs with bbq sauce

• Corn on the cob with butter

• Mashed Potatoes

Things she added in at 8 weeks out...

• Wendy's Chili with cheese, onions and sour cream

• Country Style Pork ribs with bbq sauce

• Spare ribs with bbq

• Baby back ribs with bbq

• Pulled pork

• Jimmie Dean Breakfast Bowls

• Val's Ricotta Fluff Stuff

• Egg Omelets with cheese and ham, green peppers and onions

• Shrimp ****tail

• Starting to eat salads in small amounts

• Bacon

• Sausage

• Very tender pork of just about any kind

• Fazoli's Submarine Sandwiches, inside only. (The roast beef is really good.)

• Very moist, cooked no more than medium rib-eye steak

• Bob Evans Farmers Market Omelet

• Eatsmart Soy Crisps, Tomato, Romano, and olive oil flavor

• Homemade chili, no beans (Lowers the carb count WAY down.)

• Cheesecake Factory Firecracker salmon rolls

• Salads made with ham, egg, onion, gr. pepper, tomato, bacon bits, and cheese with real ranch dressing

Read more:

http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=disp lay&board=talk&thread=3126&page=1#45361#ixzz1qQE5P7ry

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

Monique A.
on 3/18/12 4:47 am, edited 3/18/12 4:51 am - NY
I was rny to ds revision and carafate liquid helped tremendously. Even protonix twice a day did nothing. Lots of Tums in between. I too had and still do at times have buyers remorse... It's a part of the process, IMO. I had to stay liquid for much longer than 2-3 wks more like 5-6 wks. That carafate will help u. Get ur docs office to call it in for u.
And zofran every 8 hrs. If I didn't take it I was guaranteed to vomit... Which I did for a solid 3 months after revision.
Good luck- one day at a time.
Most Active