Am I having buyers remorse?

Gigifatsalloff
on 3/4/12 6:09 am
DS on 02/20/12
I had a DS revision on 2/20/12. I have not felt good one day since! I'm hungry all the time. When I do eat, I can eat three bites and I'm nauseas for an hour till the heart burn kicks in. My heart burn is so bad I can feel it on the outside of my body. 4 bites of refried beans with melted cheese and 5 minutes later I can barely get the bathroom stall door open fast enough to throw up. Soup makes me hurl also. I can drink jus****er and not eat and the acid is so bad it's intolerable. I have tried every flavor of tums and nothing helps! I am miserable!!! I have lost 25 lbs in two weeks and have suffered EVERY step of the way! I never knew it was going to be like this! Anyone else out there go through this? Is there any light at the end of this dark tunnel?

Sarah_Anne
on 3/4/12 8:02 am
Tums are not good enough.  You absoultly need to be on an acid reducer!  There are more than one kind out there so you need to try them all and in different combinations.  It does ease up as you sleeve streches!
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
MajorMom
on 3/4/12 8:04 am - VA
It shouldn't be like this. Please call your surgeon and see if you can get on some acid reducers that work for you. Sometimes it's one sometimes it takes a combo. Call him.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

ChristyTal
on 3/4/12 9:29 am
I concur that it should not be like this...having said that though, I felt pretty crappy for six months.   Everything tasted and smelled bad, nothing sat right, etc.  I don't think you can truly judge whether you "like" your DS until after at least six months.  Hang in there and communicate with your doc on the issues you are having...but, this is a long-haul thing, you're just starting!

BTW, now, I LOVE MY DS!

Christy

Sandra C.
on 3/4/12 9:41 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 I agree about contacting your surgeons office. Your symptoms dont sound anything like my recovery from D.S. surgery, but I was a virgin D.S. Call your doctor tomorrow, first thing in the morning for advice.

I have yet to throw up, I'm 6 months post OP. I take Prilosec every day, have for years even before surgery. Your doctor will need to decide the best acid reducer for you if its what you need. There are so many variables with these surgeries, every one is different. Only your surgeon can determine whats going on with you. My stomach has always feelt best with shakes and drinks. The pressure of heavy food doesnt feel right yet, but doesnt cause extreme pain and nausia like you have.
good Luck,keep us posted.  ;-)

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"

Julie B.
on 3/4/12 10:37 am - OH
I hated every minute of post op for about 6 weeks. I kept thinking to myself  why did I do this to me. I was fat but I wasn't totally in hell. I had horrible, non-relenting nausea 24/7, couldn't eat, couldn't even stomach water (would throw that up), was dehydrated twice and had to get fluids....pure and simple hell.

Four months out I would do it all over again. I am drinking and eating fine. I can take my vitamins, I have found a protien drink I can tolerate (not in LOVE with any of them but sorta like one or two).

Get some antinausea meds, get some acid reducers (nexium was a godsend for me), and hunker down through the worst of it.

It WILL get better. Get meds. Zofran has a disolving tab that you can suck on and nexium is such a small capsule it was easy for me to swallow even though I was super nauseated.

SW - 373 / CW - 179 / GW - 160

Dagny
on 3/4/12 11:43 am - NY
Tums won't cut it. I took two Prilosecs a day for at least the first year.
4 bites of refriend beans with cheese so early out would have come right up, too. But, a shot glass of soup at a time should be staying down. Eat and drink a tiny bit in more frequent intervals.
Definitely fix the heartburn/acid situation.
Yes, this does get better, but sometimes you have to help it along.

zuzupetals2u2
on 3/4/12 12:39 pm - Sedona, AZ
Everyone's experience is different too. I had no nausea and hardly felt any restriction. i did react to sugar tho and couldnt eat any for 6 months which was a good thing as I lost a lot of weight. I wish I still didn't tolerate it as I have difficulty avoiding it again and am not losing now at a year out. Carbs gave me gas but I recall most anything seemed to the first 3 months. I also remember everyday was a little better than the last for that.

It will get better! Keep trying to keep water down or you will need more trips to the ER for bags of liquids for dehydration. Small frequent sips is what many here recommend.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - a bright one! Hang on!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

rbb825
on 3/4/12 4:23 pm - Suffern, NY
if you are having heartburn - you need to be taking something much stronger than tums - like nexium, prevacid, protonix,prilosec.  Also, with heartburn and nausea like that - refried beans isn't the best choice of foods, try something blander that wont cause such burning.  For the nausea - try getting a script for zofran - if you can = get the disolvable ones, they work faster.

try protein shakes, mushy eggs with the cheese, ricotta cheese or cottage cheese - these shouldn't cause heartburn.  If you put tuna and mayo in a food processor or blend really good, they are mushy - not sure how soft you need to be at 10 days out.

You can also try some mylanta to coat your stomach

neacres100
on 3/5/12 12:28 am - NJ

Before and after my surgery, I was given prescriptions for Prevacid 30 mgs twice a day.  Thank goodness for that.  My acid was really bad.

I also was brewing fresh sliced ginger (peeled and sliced up) on the stove top in boiling water.  Let it cool down, and added Spenda to taste.  Ginger soothes the stomach.  You may want to try a bit first, because it can be strong, dilute it to taste with bottled water.  I drank it warm, hot and ice cold depending on how my stomach felt.  this helped me alot! 

Also, you may want to try some egg drop soup.  that may be easier for your new insides to tolerate it for now. 

Other easy items and you will get protein as well:
creamy peanut butter by a small teaspoon.
whipped cottage cheese with splenda and/or sugar free smuckers jam
Plain greek yogurt with spenda and sugar free smuckers
scrambled egg whites, or scrambled whole eggs
chopped up egg salad with mayo (the creamier the better)
tuna salad with mayo (the creamier the better)

My first month, I was only able to tolerate very very small quantaties of anything, including water.  I was sipping practically all day long, forcing myself to get my fluids in.  I had not taste for anything at all.  I also forced myself to eat very very small quantaties, many times a day.  Sometimes not even a teaspoon went in. 

I also tried different temperatures as well....hot, room temperatured, cooled or ice cold.  One day hot worked, other days it didn't....I tried it all.

It does get better....hang in there.  It took me about 2 months before I felt somewhat normal.  Everyone is different.

Best wishes to you.

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
Most Active