Vitamin D is low! Help

KrzyKris
on 3/1/12 8:17 am - Bakersfield, CA
Hi,
Just got labs back that showed very low vitamin D (
MajorMom
on 3/1/12 8:31 am - VA
www.Vitalady.com Order her 50,000IU vitamin D3. If you're a DSr you can start taking a capsule in the morning and 1 in the eveing. Restest after you've been on 100,000IUs a day for about 3 months.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 3/1/12 9:48 am - AL
If your D is low you are probably low in other things as well.  You might want to post your vitamin regimine and your labs and ask Major Mom for advice on the whole picture.

None of the labs work in isolation.  Everything is dependent on something else and they all work together to form a big picture.

~Becky

"Just Elizabeth "
on 3/1/12 10:31 am - Houston, TX
I have had an on going problem with my D that I thought was on the upswing. Then I got tested again last week. Nope. Down to 29. I told my PCP's nurse that I wanted a prescription for 50,000 dry D3 for 5 times a day. (I am tired of fighting this crap!) She goes "I don't think..." I just went "Talk to Dr. Lincoln. Let's see what she says." The nurse calls back and said "She said you can have what ever D prescription you want."

You can not get dry D3 in a prescription but my out of pocket account will reimburse me for it if I have a prescription.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

KrzyKris
on 3/1/12 2:11 pm - Bakersfield, CA
 Thanks for responding to my post. Only part of it was posted, but Majormom you suggested exactly what my surgeon, Dr. K, prescribed! I was just checking with folks here to make sure that was what is usually prescribed to DS patients. I had immediately went online and purchased the 50,0000 iU of vitamin D from Vitalady after seeing him on Tuesday. I only became worried when after seeing my regular doctor for other smaller issues and she became very alarmed when I told her what I was going to start doing to fix my low vitamin D (whiich is a 10). She said to research it and make sure it wasn't toxic. I do see that she doesn't have a clear understanding or knowledge and expertise with DS and malabsorption. But, I just wanted some validation before the vitamins arrive in the next day or two! He also suggested a whole complex vitamin B at twice the normal dose since my vitamin B6 is low (19), and increasing calcium to 3,000 mg divided during the day.
J G.
on 3/1/12 2:49 pm
Elizabeth, how much D had you been taking?
"Just Elizabeth "
on 3/1/12 10:07 pm - Houston, TX
I had been taking 60,000 a day which was lower because I had started to get to a good area. Big mistake for me. I'm getting to the high end of normal and staying there if I have to take all the vitamin D3 in Houston.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

sillylinnie
on 3/5/12 11:46 am - Monroe, OH
i get some of my ry d3 thru a script.. pharmisist special orders it for me

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

sillylinnie
on 3/5/12 12:02 pm - Monroe, OH
i hv a script to take on top of what take on my own, my doc called and to pharmasist and he special oders me the dry d3 50,000..... it is possible

highest weight 43 / day of surgery 411 sleeve 5/15/07 lost 143.2 with my sleeve
        7/08/09 TOTALLY Switched baby....weight 286.8 morning of surgery

"Just Elizabeth "
on 3/6/12 6:06 am - Houston, TX
Wow!!! That is great information to have. Thanks!!!

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.