My story

clarkmelanie
on 2/26/12 10:48 am
My story begins December 4, 2004. It was as a regular work day. All of a sudden I "flipped out". I was taken to a mental hospital for observation of my behavior. I was not allowed to connect with my family or friends. After three days, I was released and given instructions to enroll in a clinic to continue treatment. I'm going on my 8th year at Lake Regional Mental Health, and still in a plan of recovery. I take 4 medications every day, twice a day. I had tried many weight loss diets and such. In February 2011, I went to Austin, Texas to assist my best friend to recover from gastric bypass surgery. When I returned home, I discussed my options with my doctor about weight loss surgery. My doctor explained that my insurance (Medicare) would not pay for it unless I was in a program for at least 6 months. So, on March 8, 2011, I went to my first Weigh****chers meeting. Wow, what a revelation! Weigh****chers works! I have been in the program (lifestyle change) for 1 year. I have lost 28 pounds. My doctor says we can get the ball rolling on the surgery. I had forgotten all about wanting it done. I want to continue to succeed in Weigh****chers and will be having the D-Switch on April 2, 2012. I'm so ready to have it done already. I know I need to be patient, but I really need to be a healthier me. Today, I'm still on meds for my mental status, I'm diligent in WW, and I think when I have my final weigh-in I will be physically, mentally, and emotionally in a healthier status. I can't wait to become a healthy me. Please feel free to make any comments or advise. I WILL SUCCEED!!! Thank you Nita, my sister-in-law and best firend for not giving up on me.
 You may be one person in the world, but today you may be the world to one person.

-Melanie-
PatXYZ
on 2/26/12 11:51 am
Congrats on making it this far and on your upcoming surgery. Who is your surgeon? Has their program gone over the necessary vitamin and protein supplementation after surgery? I'm glad you have found WW to be helpful, after surgery though I'm sure you recognize that you'll be eating quite a bit differently than the WW plan as you'll need much more fat and protein than the WW plan would ever allow, and fewer fruits, veg and carbs than they would advocate. Good luck to you!
Diane Davis
on 2/26/12 1:07 pm
Congratulations on your decision.  Please, please, please do your research on what's to be expected of you for this surgery.  We are all here to be of assistance, as well, but you need to read, read, read!

Best of luck!
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
neacres100
on 2/26/12 11:01 pm - NJ
Congrats on your achievements and your decision to proceed with wls.  What made you decide on going with the DS?  Who is your surgeon?

As it was stated before, please do a lot of reading on the DS and the surgeons that perform this delicate, intricate surgery.  It will be life changing for you.  There are vitamins that you will have to take everyday for the rest of your life, and lab work that you will have to become familiar with, and you will be eating differently than what weigh****chers plan allows. 

Have you gone to http://www.dsfacts.com/  ?  There is a lot of information there on the duodenal switch procedure, what to expect and the most important, all the surgeons that perform this surgery.  I hope your surgeon is on that list.  If not, you may want to reconsider your surgeon.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask here.  There are many here that have gone through the all the questions in their minds, the hesitation at times, anxiety, the good, the bad and the ugly.  :) 

Best wishes to you on your journey!

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
clarkmelanie
on 2/28/12 3:06 am
 My surgeon in Dr Stewart in Denton TX...yes he is on the list...I am excited about WLS.  feel free to email me anytime [email protected] .
 You may be one person in the world, but today you may be the world to one person.

-Melanie-
Sandra C.
on 2/28/12 4:39 am - Kalamazoo, MI
 Make a notebook of on line printouts to help you study all the necessary things that will help you succeed. Many categories are important-  post surgery diet, D.S. friendly foods for the rest of your life, vitamns and supplements- how many, vitamin cost,  types of exercise for tonng and cardio, support groups close to home , and more.