Protein increase?

MeNotYou
on 2/26/12 10:05 pm
 Do you think at least some of the changed bowl habits after surgery is caused by the increase of protein?
Valerie G.
on 2/27/12 4:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Nope.
Bowl effects are more from the shortened time for travel.

Think of it this way.  The average small intestine is 10 times longer than the length of the entire body.  That means my 5'5" body had more than 50 feet for food to travel and be absorbed.  As the nutrients were absorbed and the food processed, it became more solidified as it reached the end of its journey.  It literally takes days for the average person to digest what they eat.  Today my food travels a mere 3 feet, so that processing just isn't taking place like it used to, which is why our stools are looser than the average bear.  It also means that I pooped this morning all of what I ate yesterday.  

As you're hearing the term "loose stool", so many pre-ops and non-ops imagine this horrible diarrhea that they are considering living with.  Loose stool requires no straining, and is quite satisfying.  It stinks as poo does and a little more than the average poo, but a small price to pay.  You really have a lot of control of the poo as you learn how your body reacts to different foods.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PatXYZ
on 2/27/12 11:15 am, edited 2/27/12 11:15 am
Ummm, you've actually more than doubled the length of the small intestine - 22-23 feet is its average length. Also, unless there is something really messed up with your DS, you should have an alimentary limb that is around 150cm plus a common channel that is 100cm, 250cm is actually over 8 feet. So, your food moves a hell of a lot more than 3 feet.
Valerie G.
on 2/29/12 2:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yes, you are correct, superiority noted (I found that quote on a web page, btw - but confirmed your length on another)....but it would be so much more helpful if you would give a version of an actual answer to the poster , doncha think?  Despite my error, the rest of my reasoning makes sense.  

Try to stick to the subject

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PatXYZ
on 2/29/12 7:09 am
Why should I feel obligated to stick to the subject when I see information that is blatently wrong? I studied physiology and anatomy and this jumped out at me. Insecurity noted.
Sandra C.
on 2/28/12 10:26 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Actually, with my Hashimotos hypothyroid condition, I always was constipated, and still am post D.S.  need to take a small dose of  laxitives daily.
A. Holt
on 2/29/12 11:42 am
I think it caused more by the fact that you will malabsorb around 80% of the fat you take in and it comes out, guess where??