Travelling for a revison and more!

Teetster
on 2/27/12 9:04 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi!

VSG to DS'r here just wanting to wish you the best of luck in your journey. I originally had VSG in 2007 and never reached goal weight. I am another one who should have had the DS to begin with as I had more than 150 lbs to lose and also struggled with PCOS. Since my revision I have lost about 93 lbs so far. My Pre VSG weight was 325. My pre DS weight was 270. I am currently 177. I am sorry to see others in the same situation I was in. I really thought I could make the VSG work, but I really need the malabsorption. I must tell you that I had terrible complications when revising to DS as my VSG and other previous abdominal surgery had caused really bad adhesions. After my DS I developed infectious necrotizing pancreatits. I spent over 2 months in the hospital and another few weeks in rehab. The pancreatitis happened before I even left the hospital from my DS. I too had to travel for my original VSG and revision to DS.  

Even with all I've been through I am so glad to have my revision. My surgeon was awesome and I owe my life to him. I say all this because I want to make it be known that having the VSG and then "just adding the second part of the DS" to your sleeve if the VSG is not enough, is not always a simple procedure as it is sometimes made out to be.

Again, best of luck to you and any of my other VSG to DS sisters or brothers out there. I have a feeling there will be more and more of us heavy weights needing to revise to DS. Even though others haven't posted much about this, I know they are out there. You are definitely not alone.
stormechaser
on 2/27/12 11:15 am
DS on 06/08/17
Thank you so much for sharing your story! I too have PCOS. After my 80lb weight loss, I was like a clock with my cycles. Now I am back to being hit and miss with them. When I was married and actually trying to get pregnant, I'd have 2 a year if I was lucky. (Glad now that I didn't have kids with him!)

I really wanted to hear from people who have gone thru a revision-especially stories like yours where there were bad complications. I need to wrap my mind around this and examine the possibilities.

One of my worries has been not loosing after revision because I have read over and over that a two step DS doesn't work as well as a virgin DS. I worry about having a second surgery and being in the same boat I am now.

I am happy to say that the Cleveland Clinic called me tonight at work to get me into their bariatric system!!! I gave them my insurance info (Cue the angels singing!!), my first surgery info (didn't even care that it was out of the country!) and then the rep gave me the website for the questionnaire I need to submit for review.

They put me in the system as seeking follow up care with a possible revision. The rep confirmed that no one their will do a DS. I am hoping that I can get them to coordinate my care with the doctor I finally choose. Still leaning towards Dr. Roslin, but we'll see :)

Oh, and btw Lauren....you had me laughing my ass off about your proposed revision surgery!!! I think that's the best idea I have heard in a long time :)

Thanks so much for everyone's input.

~~~~~~~
Jessica

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

Ellen272
on 3/10/12 3:50 am, edited 3/10/12 3:51 am

Thank You for posting your story!  I to had VSG in Mexico, 10/18/08, starting weight was 340.  I lost 140, gained back 20 over the past year.  I went into this thinking I could lose all of my weight, didn’t happen.  I have just started making calls for “the other half".  Needing and wanting DS.  I am hopeful I can schedule an appointment on Monday and start the process once again. 

NoMore B.
on 3/10/12 7:00 am
 I had a DS with Dr Roslin (in one step, not revised from a VSG).  My brother also had a DS with him, as did about 5 others in my family.

I can highly recommend him, he's an excellent surgeon and a real advocate for the DS.  He has a very busy practice.  You dont need to go to NYC to see him though, he also has an office in the NYC suburbs at Northern Westchester Hospital.

I dont check these boards very often, but if you want any more information please just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help

Joanne
stormechaser
on 3/10/12 8:32 am
DS on 06/08/17
I called his office and got a snippy receptionist. She told me that I would need to attend a seminar before anything else is scheduled.

Now, not to be whiny or anything, I am in freaking Ohio. I am not driving 8 hrs to sit for 1.5 hrs and drive back 8 hrs. You would think that a webinar could be offerred since he works with many, many out of state patients. Its just frustrating.

I just turned in all my paperwork at the Cleve Clinic to get going with the Bariatics dept. I am listed as going in for follow up care. Hopefully, Dr. Schauer will help me find a solution.

I am just frustrated at life lately, so this is not helping my morale :*(

goodkel
on 3/10/12 8:51 am
The VSG to DS is not a complicated revision like revising from the RnY or  the lap band.

I don't see why any qualified, vetted DS surgeon couldn't do it.

Have you asked any?
stormechaser
on 3/10/12 9:00 am
DS on 06/08/17
That's the age old question. I asked many months ago when I was considering revision to RNY, and I was lambasted into only considering a specific set of revisionists.

I can't win. I really want to just stay at the Cleve clinic for the sake of my sanity.

goodkel
on 3/10/12 10:13 am
Well, messing with a VSG in order to create a pouch and stoma on a sleeve IS technically more complicated than a VSG revision to a DS where you are only rearranging virgin intestines.

So, yes, that would require someone highly experienced in such surgeries rather than your run of the mill bariatric surgeon.

Are there any vetted DS surgeons currently working out of the Cleveland Clinic?

If so, you should give them a call.
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"

Sandra C.
on 3/10/12 1:19 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
 Ohio is close to Michigan. Look into Dr Kemmeter, Grand Health Partners, Grand Rapids. He is very experienced with revisions to D.S. I have been  extremely pleased with my D.S and their pleasant staff. I would choose them again for any future surgeries I may need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Duodenal Switch- lap
Dr. Paul. Kemmeter Grand Rapids, Mi.
Dr. John  Renucci, Plastics, Body contouring,Grand Rapids, Mi.
Start 255/ Surgery wt 235/ Current wt. 117

BMI-20, 135 lbs lost, 5'3"