Travelling for a revison and more!

stormechaser
on 2/26/12 5:23 am
DS on 06/08/17
I have been reading about Dr. Roslin and I like what I see. He's the first surgeon with published articles that I have been able to readily find--and read! I'm sure all the docs are published, but there is something about Dr. Roslin that I like. He seems very approachable in both his written and spoken words. (I feel like a stalker, I've been watching his videos on his website)

What I don't like, of course, is having to travel. I don't know why it seemed so easy when I went to Mexico, yet now I feel like I am being put out. Hmm...gotta think on that one.

Anyways, I will have Anthem BCBS in just a few days and I am ready to start this process asap. My favored doc at the Cleveland Clinic is leaving for a teaching position. Sad to see him go, but glad for him. Regardless of my revision options, he was the doc I wanted to evaluate me and help me in my journey. Dr. Schauer is also excellent, but I hear he pushes VSG to RNY and I don't want to be bullied into something that isn't right for me. That's why I was so initially defensive here on this forum. I want what is right for me! (Ok, PMS rant done! LOL)

So now, what I would love to hear is experiences with Dr. Roslin. Did any of you have a revision to DS from VSG? How far did you have to travel to see him? Will he work with your docs if they are out of state? (I would love to do pre-op stuff in Cleveland since NY is an 8 hr drive and I would like to save flight money for after surgery-comfort, you know)

Any input, as always, is greatly appreciated. I am going to cross-post this on the revision forum as well.

VSG TO DS Revision on June 8, 2017.

Surgeon: Dr. Philip Schauer at Cleveland Clinic
Current Weight: 280 lbs

Regained to: 312lbs
Lowest after VSG: 249lbs
Highest Weight ever: 330lbs

celticfaery
on 2/26/12 5:40 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
I don't have any advice...  I'm in the same situation as you.  I had the VSG 6/07 and looking for a revision.  I had the sleeve done locally, but for the DS, I will have to travel. 

Just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in this journey!! 

Lauren
stormechaser
on 2/26/12 6:06 am
DS on 06/08/17

Hey Lauren!!

I remember reading your posts as I was gearing up to get my VSG. While I hate that we are in need of revision, I am glad to not be alone.

Do you ever wonder if the surgery failed you or if you failed it? I am almost afraid to find out the answer to that.

~~~~~
Jessica

celticfaery
on 2/26/12 9:15 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
I remember you too from WAY back when...  = )

I'm with you.  I wish I wasn't in this place right now, but hind sight is 20/20.

I know the answer to that question.  The answer is neither.  I failed myself.  By making the wrong choices, by choosing to continue to push my emotions down, by ignoring my body's screams for help; I failed myself.  My sleeve still works.  But I fear it is the constant yo-yoing for the last 2 years that is doing irreparable damage to metabolism.  So bad so, I actually gained weight on my last dieting attempt.  That was when I realized I needed to take action now.  I am currently seeing a counselor to help me deal with my eating issues and other emotional issues I had chosen not to deal with.  I have also been diagnosed as bipolar (not sure if I agree with the diagnosis, but I am on a mood stabilizer that seems to help) and I have ADD.  Meds are helping me get my priorities straight now.  I feel like I'm in a different place, mentally.  There was a huge part of me that was in denial.  I kept telling myself that losing the weight would solve all my problems.  And it didn't. 

I lost almost 200 pounds.  I went from 425 to 236.  The first time I hit 236 was in January 2009.  I stayed there for about a day.  I bounced quickly back up to 250 and then I fought to get back there.  In May 2009 was the second time I hit 236.  After that, I've been fighting ever since.  I've leveled out around 340 now.  ****** me off that I got back here.  But I know it's because of my choices.  Being that I was such a heavyweight, I should have started with the DS, but I didn't.  Instead I got some life lessons that I was in need for.  I might not have had the experiences that I did had I had the DS first.  I might be in the same place I am now with the regain...  

Someone told me right after getting sleeved that I needed to get a good therapist and start working on my eating issues.  I didn't do it.  If you aren't seeing a therapist now, please do!!!  My husband is looking into getting the sleeve.  He only has about 100 pounds to lose.  I am making him go see a therapist.  He thinks he doesn't have any problems to work out.  He says he just likes to eat and he eats too much too often.  I called BS real fast!  We don't get this big because we only just like food.  I'm ready to end this cycle.  I'm ready to be successful once and for all.  I'm ready to start putting these tools to use and learn to cope with my problems as the come instead of stuffing them down with whatever I can get my hands on. 

I am tired of failing myself.  I want to look back one day and be able to say that I know I made the right choices.  I know that regain is possible with the DS too, but I have other tools in my arsenal that I plan to put to very good use so I don't end up back here again.

= )

Sleeved 6/2007 - Switched 10/2012 

stormechaser
on 2/26/12 9:50 am
DS on 06/08/17
I hear you-loud and clear!!!

I chose the sleeve b/c that was the only thing I could afford with no insurance. While my doctor was great, going out of the country was terrible. There was zero follow up care, no therapy or group sessioons or nutrition. My doctors here in Ohio treat me for medically necessary issues as that is all the charity program (HCAP) will allow. No one has ever stopped to look at my sleeve or talk about why I am gaining. I am out of control at about 300lbs.

It's been a crappy 3 years plus. I honeymooned my sleeve for about a year. Then it all fell apart. I realize how ****y I was and so sure that the lost pounds were gone forever. Even though I said over and over that the sleeve was just a tool not a cure, I think---hell, I know!--that I treated it as the cure-all. What a pathetic mess I have created for myself.

Finally, I am at a point in my life where I can provide myself with health insurance. It begins on Thursday, 3/1/12. I am going to start making calls tomorrow. I am calling the bariatric dept. at the Cleveland Clinic to see if I can get in with a therapist who deals with overeating issues.
The only way out is through. It's going to be tough, but its the only way.

This time around, I am going to actively participate in my weight loss and health instead of just being a bystander. They say everything happens for a reason, so there has got to be one for this failure.

Thanks so much for such an insightful post. I knew I couldn't be the only person that was going through this.

celticfaery
on 2/26/12 11:25 am - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
I'm so glad you posted today!  Maybe we can go through this together... =)

A lot of what you said resonates with me.  Even though my surgeon was local, there was no follow-up care.  I saw his PA 2 weeks after surgery.  I had another appointment 2 weeks later but they called me to cancel.  This was right around the time the sleeve became popular and I felt like the surgeon used this to his advantage.  He was pumping them out bunnies.  He had no time for his patients that he had already "serviced" and we were sent to his PA (which no one liked). 

It's tough not being able to have a local surgeon who does the DS.  I will be traveling for mine.  I've talked with Dr. Garth Davis and his staff.  I'm set and ready to go for my consultation.  However, because I have to travel, I've got to work within the confines of schedules!!!  I'm thinking it might not be until May before I can get away till May...  Oh well...  We will make it work one way or another!

I know how excited you must be!  I hope you can find someone at the cleveland clinic.  My therapist suggests that I go to Overeaters Anonymous.  I've found a website that has online OA meetings, The Recovery Group (http://recovery.hiwaay.net/meetings/index.html).  This online group has a group specific for people who have had WLS too.  I've been to 2 of the meetings.  The people seem great.  I just need to make more of an effort to attend more meetings. 

I definitely believe that everything happens for a reason.  I just hope that I don't have to go through all this 5 years from now with new lessons that I refused to learn.  LOL!  The only other option I'd have left is if I found a surgeon to attach my espohagus to my asshole.  =)

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/12 9:20 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
*snort!!*  "The only other option I'd have left is if I found a surgeon to attach my espohagus to my asshole.  =)"

I nearly choked on my morning meat!  :}

My heart hurts for yall to be in this situation, but I am so glad yall are finding ways to get back to healthy!! 

Keep on moving forward ladies!  Not that you need it, but I am cheering for yall from here!
happiegirl
on 2/26/12 12:29 pm - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Wow! this is intresting I wanted a sleeve but this worries me.
celticfaery
on 2/26/12 8:58 pm - Walker, LA
DS on 10/11/12
The sleeve is a fantastic tool!  I know more people who have done well and not regained than people who have gained some weight back (I think I'm the only one I know who gained back this much).  But in all honestly, the sleeve is more for people who have less than 150 pounds to lose.  Those are the ones who seem to be the most successful.  I had 300 pounds I needed to lose. 

The best advice I can give is to do your research and make sure you do what is right for you and your body.  Also, find a good therapist to work out your issues.  Surgery is not a cure.  They do surgery on our stomachs...  not our brains.  =)

happiegirl
on 2/26/12 10:06 pm - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
I agree with therapy.  I have food issues for sure.  I started at 351 pounds and I'm now at 280 no surgery but since I'm 5'3" I have more than 150 to lose.  Normal weight would be about 257 pounds.  I'm thinking maybe I need the malabsorption.  I want to keep it off but I'm worried about bone density test.  I'm worried that I won't be able to be healthy.