DS 2/14/12 Mouth alwasy dry nothing taste good.

usandall
on 2/25/12 8:31 pm
I drink mainly water, protein shakes and juice and at the beginning of the day they taste good however by mid afternoon my mouth or mind is sick of them as I start to gag just to swallow it but I am not nauseated.  I also drink the cubed broth dissolved in steaming ho****er but that is not particularly  tasty as well. I use to  drink a gallon a milk a day so does any one have some advise?  I am eating jello as well.  Any other ideas would be great. Hugs Donna                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
buffalobillsfan
on 2/25/12 8:47 pm - CA
I had a similar problem but it was also with food.  I couldn't eat anything more than once so finding new protein sources was a huge challenge.  This is typical of the early days.  At this point the focus is just finding tolerable things since "liking" something may be hard.  I could only drink plain hot tea or plain ho****er.  It felt soothing on my stomach.  I couldn't drink anything cold so I stuck with what worked.  I forced it in because dehydration will cause naseau and that will really make it hard to drink.  How abou****ered down juice, soups, crystal light?  Watered down versions went down easier for me.  It will get better!!! 

newyorkbitch
on 2/25/12 9:13 pm
Why on earth are you drinking juice ??  You do not need those carbs.

Stick to water.  Water water water.

Water and soft proteins.  THAT'S IT.
neacres100
on 2/25/12 11:35 pm - NJ
You are still fresh, your stomach is healing.  Nothing may taste right to you for a while.  Fluid is most important and protein. 

In order to get in my fluids, I would set up 8 shots of water or tea or isopure protein or broth.  I did shots, because it wasn't so intimidating as a big glass or bottle.  Once I got through those 8 shots, i set up another 8 shots.  If you have to put a timer on for every 15 minutes  When the timer goes off, take a shot.  Do whatever it takes to get that fluid in.  Sip, sip, sip...

If you don't hydrate, you'll get nauseated.  Don't drink juice, unless it's sugar free.  I would also water down the juice.  This way you get the flavor, but it won't be so hard on your new stomach and insides.

I also had vitamin c drops by Halls.  It would keep my mouth moist, and I would get a bit of vitamin c in.  Just not too many, the sugar free candies can make you gasy.  Fluids are most important. If you get those fluids in, your mouth won't be so dry.

I didn't feel like eating or drinking for about a month.  I had to force myself to get my fluids in.  Actually i didn't feel somewhat normal for about 8 weeks or so. 

Don't worry, you'll get through this.  We've all had issues in the beginning. 

best wishes!

Erroded lapband removed 12/28/09, stomach repaired, infected port cut out.

WLS done on Dec 14th, 2010.WOOHOO!!
I survived & I'm alive!  Dr. Gagner is my life saver!
Diane Davis
on 2/26/12 4:48 am
Ketosis makes your mouth taste metallic, and gives you a dry mouth.  This is good, though, you want to go through Ketosis, it will pass.

Get rid of the juice, like was mentioned, unless it's sugarfree.  Sugar free popsicles were a Godsend to me, I sucked on them constantly when my mouth tasted like that.

Your main focus is fluids at this point.  Good luck, and I hope all of our advice will be helpful to you.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
usandall
on 3/3/12 6:13 pm
thank you and I will try the Popsicles
Valerie G.
on 2/27/12 5:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Well, this lasted a good 6-9 months for me.  The taste for food really lost its luster, and I mourned it a little.  Then one day, I realized that things started tasting okay, and on another day some time later, I actually craved something.  This is one of those things that you just push yourself through for the only reason as to nourish your body, which is your job right now.  If you've not found it out on dsfacts, there is an article I wrote about what to expect following surgery, and I think I touched on this very subject.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

usandall
on 2/29/12 1:01 pm
You sound exactly like me and I thought I read every detail on that site but I am going back.  Thank you
Donna
Dagny
on 2/29/12 4:42 pm - NY
Water and any other sugar FREE liquid is fine. Get in at least 64 ounces a day.
Sugar free popsicles are wonderful.
Make sure your Jello is sugar free as well.

Not enough liquid will dehydrate you and make you nauseous. Then it will send you to the emergency room and IV fluids. Not good.

I had success with egg drop soup from the corner Chinese restaurant. Took me all day to get in a pint. That was my food for the day. I drank water for the rest of my fluids.

But, don't expect to enjoy much for awhile. Food and drink is not for pleasure now, but for health.

Things will improve over time as you heal.
usandall
on 3/3/12 6:16 pm
Thank you.  Every thing does not taste right even pistachio's and milk.are ghastly