Fat Absorption

MeNotYou
on 2/21/12 11:33 pm
 I have heard that post surgery our bodies absorp anywhere from 30% - 80% of fats. Now I'm sure this will vary from person to person depending on the length of their alimentary limb is, yes? But does anyone have a source that gives a better range than what I already have?

Valerie G.
on 2/22/12 4:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 We only absorb around 20-30% of fats.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PatXYZ
on 2/22/12 12:07 pm
The only study I know of is a small study of 19 DSers (ranging from a few months to 2 years post-op) from 2005 that found that they malabsorbed an average of 81% of the fat they ate, based on the composition of their poo. I know there is general thought out there that malabsorption lessens over time, potentially to something like 50% in the long term. The only way to know for sure would be to track your intake and then pay a lab to check out your poo.
MsBatt
on 2/23/12 1:02 am
Actually, the absorbtion of fat remains pretty constant, forever---because fat, unlike protein and carbs MUST be emulsified by bile before the body can absorb it. The long biliopancreatic limb of the DS keeps bile away from fat until the common channel, so absorbtion of fat can ONLY occur in the CC. Protein and carbs can be absorbed throughout the alimentary limb, since digestive juices from the stomach are also in the alimentary limb. Absorption of protein and carbs does increase slightly over time, as the alimentary limb can grow more villi.
Blank Out
on 2/23/12 4:37 am
 You rock ms batt!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

MsBatt
on 2/23/12 9:29 pm
On February 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM Pacific Time, Blank Out wrote:
 You rock ms batt!
I'm a science geek...(*grin*)

And---when I chose to have the DS, I knew that my long-term health depended on me continuing to learn about my body and my surgery FOREVER.
NoMore B.
on 2/22/12 8:11 pm
 It's more like an average of 20%, and it depends upon the length of your common channel, not alimentary limb
MeNotYou
on 2/23/12 12:52 am
 Thanks for clearing this up :)