Malabsorption and maintaining weight

SukieSookie
on 2/20/12 4:58 am
So I know DSers lose so much because of the smaller stomach and the malabsorption factor. But what happens when you reach goal weight and need to stop losing?  

MajorMom
on 2/20/12 5:27 am - VA
Most people just stop losing. I had about 80 pounds to lose based on the insurance tables of desired weight. I lost that and stopped. It took 11 months but I'd gotten to normal BMI by 6 months post-op. The last 15 pounds took almost as long as the first 65.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

someguy
on 2/20/12 5:30 am
 It happens sometimes, but it's rare. There are enzymes you can take to help you absorb more of the food you eat. 
mfgdeux
on 2/20/12 5:43 am - antioch, TN
this is what I found. If I do the basic DS diet, I lose. If I eat whatever I want (like when i went through a bout of depression for like 6 months), I maintain. I have not gained out of the last 3 years since surgery, but eating crap makes me maintain. I still have about 60 lbs I want to lose (I've lost 285 so far). This 60 lbs is the hardest I have ever tried to lose, but its coming off slowly. Just need to get back to being strict and back to basics.

See my journey on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/peterrabbit31
AmandaID
on 2/20/12 11:43 am - Shoshone, ID
 For almost everyone, when your body is done losing, you quit losing. There are a few who lose too much and have to take probiotics and eat mega amounts to stop, but most of us have bodies that learn to cope and regulate when we get down to normal size. Some (like me) actually wish we would've lost about 20 more pounds! 

Also, as time goes by, your stomach does stretch. Mine was made 5 oz, but is now, at 6+ years out, holds about 14 oz. 

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm

Valerie G.
on 2/21/12 2:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I started eating pretty shamelessly when I got to where I wanted to stop.  Of course, you then need to find the balance to maintain and not lose - however - not regain either.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

sassyjonz
on 2/21/12 9:57 am - Atlanta, GA
While you are losing, you concentrate on low carbing pretty strictly.  Once you get to your goal weight, you can eat more and you start consuming more carbs and that helps you maintain and stop losing. 

You have to find a balance and know how far you can pu**** without gaining or throwing yourself into a crazy binge.  I find that a combination of the right amount of good carbs and exercise helps me maintain my current weight.  I allow myself a 5lb window and when I start creeping I crack down on carbs or substitute a shake back in for a couple of days.  This has worked well for the past year.  

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155