Pre-op Nutrition Consultation

wendylady
on 2/19/12 11:45 pm - Eldersburg, MD
DS on 05/21/12
Hello DSers!

I'm hoping that someone might be able to offer some direction for the pre-op nutritional consultation.

I'm in Maryland and the only pre-op eval I have left is the Nutrition counseling. This has been exceedingly difficult to find. Most of the RDs I've talked to have no idea what it is I need and are trying to put me on some long-term program. I also have had others tell me that insurance won't pay for the consultation and I'm not sure if they mean those programs or any evalutation. I'm getting a little frustrated and am hoping that one or more of you  can offer some guidance here.

What what your experience like in getting the nutritional eval done and what advise might you have to offer me.

Any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for reading :)

If it matters, my surgeon is Dr. Greenbaum and though he's given me a list, I'm hoping to find someone close to me for the NUT consult.

MajorMom
on 2/20/12 12:34 am - VA
You might have to pay out of pocket for the consult depending on your insurance but try contacting Dr Elariny's dietitian and making an appointment with her. She's new to bariatrics but she has all the previous dietitian's notes and directions.  Phone: 703-778-6000  Talk to the receptionist about the appointment. It used to be that the dietitian was only in the office on Tuesday and Wednesday.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

wendylady
on 2/20/12 12:50 am - Eldersburg, MD
DS on 05/21/12
Thanks, Gina. It's a start! I'll call her.
MajorMom
on 2/20/12 1:01 am - VA
Let me know how it works. I don't know if she's allowed to do her own consults vs ones for Dr E, but it's worth a shot.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

bdocker
on 2/20/12 1:55 am
Hi Wendy,

I'm looking to get DS at some point also. If Dr E's nut doesn't work for you, you could check with the nut at Franklin Square in Baltimore. They also do the DS there. They are my second choice behind Dr E as they are vetted on DSFacts.com so they may have some experience as far as the NUT consult for Dr Greenbaum.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Brenda
J G.
on 2/20/12 3:02 am
Wendy, if just went to any ole local nut and used the "smile and nod" technique - just to fulfill the requirement.  I had obtained all my nutrition knowledge from this board and vitamin guidelines from here and Vitalady.
wendylady
on 2/20/12 3:23 am - Eldersburg, MD
DS on 05/21/12

Thanks for the input. I plan to "smile and nod" that's how I've gotten through most of these consultations

The problem has been that most of them have no idea what I'm asking for. I've taken up the advice to contact the bariatic centers and try to contact their NUTs as they, at least, will know what it is I am looking for. I've left messages for about 5 of them, so hopefully, I'll hear some good news soon!

Thanks again for the words of wisdom :)

J G.
on 2/20/12 2:04 pm
The problem has been that most of them have no idea what I'm asking for.

Okay, when you call the local nut for an appointment, explain that following the evaluation, you will be needing her to write a letter stating that in her oppinion that you have a good understanding of your nutritional needs and will be able to meet them following the weight loss surgery.

If you explain that on the phone that should give them an understanding of what your after.  Lots of nuts do this for RYN and Laps.

You can call your insurance company to see whether nut consultations are covered by your plan.
beemerbeeper
on 2/20/12 4:05 am - AL
I was able to do my totally worthless and sometimes dangerous nut consult by phone.  I had to pay out of pocket but at least I could do it in my jammies and yawn and roll my eyes all I wanted to.

Finding a NUT who has correct info about the DS is practically impossible.  There may be two or three in the world.

~Becky

wendylady
on 2/20/12 11:07 pm - Eldersburg, MD
DS on 05/21/12
Thanks, Becky. I was prepared for that, but even outside of their lack of knowledge about the NUT needs of a DSer, I'm finding that the ones I've talked to just lack the knowledge of doing a bariatric pre-op, period. It's like I'm the first to have ever asked them for this and they are clueless. They have no concept of the "pre-op" part and they think I'm asking for long-term nutritional counseling or something. I think I'm getting closer to a resolution for this as I've narrowed my search to those that work with bariatric centers/surgeons. They may not have the right info to give me for the DS, but at least I can get what I need for my insurance! I really thought this would be one of the more easy pre-op evals to get, but boy am I wrong.

Thanks again for your input.