Pregnant!

ksallen928
on 2/19/12 3:27 am
Sorry guys, I know I've been away for a LONG time.  I guess I just got to finally start living.  I've had a ton of things happen since I was here last.  I changed jobs.  I"ve been going to school and now I'm pregnant (which was my whole reason for surgery).  I've been looking at the pregnancy after weight loss surgery page but it looks like mostly RNY people posting on there.  I know there have been others that have had DS and babies and so I'm looking for a little advice.  I went to see my PCP last week to confirm the pregnancy and well let's just say she's been a total moron since I had surgery so I'm not sure why I would think that would change.  She said she thinks I should be considered high risk because of my surgery (which she continues to call the gastric bypass).  She did refer me to a newer OBGYN we have in town but I'm worried I'm going to hit the same wall of stupidity.  I read on here somewhere that some opt to take a prenatal twice a day and others just added folic acid to their vitamin regimen.  If anyone has more specific feedback about their vitamins and how they changed that that would be great informatoin.  I've been using Vitalady's regimen and it seems to be doing well for me.  After looking at the contents of the prenatals I thought wow I get way more iron than that in a day and have up to this point just added some folic acid.  I'm concerned about the type of folic acid.  Are there different types (some that are fat soluable and not)?  Is there anything else I should be worried or thinking about that I'm forgetting?  I really appreciate any advice or information I can get.  I'm hoping that the new OBGYN will not be a total idiot but I want to be prepared.
Thanks again
Kim

Roxy2974
on 2/19/12 3:46 am - Austell, GA
Congratulations on the Pregnancy! I have a 6 month old. My OBGYN did consider me High Risk bc of surgery as well as I was still considered overweight. I saw a Perinatologist who had worked with other wls patients and took the extra step to become versed on DS and worked closely with my WLS doctor to monitor my labs etc. I did have to up my Carbs during pregnancy but continued my vits, added folic acid and instead of my multi I took pre natal vits. Good Luck! I am sure you will get a lot of replies.

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
AundreaSmith
on 2/19/12 3:53 am - Caledonia, MI
DS on 03/12/12
Congrats Kim!!!

I would take being considered "high risk" as a compliment.  At least it means that your physican doesn't feel educated enough to monitor you and your little one through out your pregnancy, so she can refer you to someone who can.  If she refers you to a good perinatologist they will be able to help you monitor your vitamin levels and make sure that you have a healthy and happy pregnancy.

I wish you all the best!
gak
on 2/19/12 7:40 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I think most DS'ers are classified as high risk. That is a good thing as they will keep a close eye on you. I am past babies, but congrats on your new bundle of joy.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm