Freaking out!

SukieSookie
on 2/19/12 6:26 am
 I'm sorry to bother you all yet again, but I've promised myself that I would choose a surgeon by the end of next month so I can get this party started. But I am TOTALLY FREAKING OUT.. What if my PCP effs up my labs, or doesn't give me iron if I need it? What if I mess up my vitamins? What if I mess up the diet and am sick with explosive diarrhea all the time? What if this  doesn't work?? I can't afford for it not too, financially but more importantly health wise. I can barely walk b/c of tendonitis and I'm really counting on this to at least help some. What if it doesn't help at all?? What if I get osteoperosis? What if I have to go in for a surgery for complications?? My insurance won't pay for it, they aren't paying for this. 

I'm sorry, but I am just a nervous wreck and reallly don't know where else to turn. Is it normal to feel this way? I WANT this to work, but I'm afraid b/c there is so much to remember. The labs, the vitamins, the probiotics, the diet, the protein. I feel I'll be living off of a list the rest of my life. 

Please help :(

clpeltz
on 2/19/12 7:19 am
Hugs!

Breathe!  It is totally normal!  You keep coming with questions and we will help keep you on track!  That is why we are here!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

gak
on 2/19/12 7:34 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Take a deep breath. One step at a time. Have you talked to your PCP and see if they are agreeable ? The vits you just adjust according to labs. Depending on the surgeon, some are great on ordering labs and you do not need your PCP for that. 

It will work with a vetted DS doc. Explosive diarrhea will cure you real fast if your really bad. I have never had explosive diarrhea. Your other 'what if's " are pretty well taken care of if you pick a vetted doc. Have you read www.dsfacts.com ? 

Yes it's normal to feel this way. Calm down and take one step at a time.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

galla1
on 2/19/12 7:36 am
 CALM DOWN!!! Holy moly girl!! First the truth is you nor anyone else will know if you will have complications, it's a possibility and a reality.. You will have to deal with that IF it happens.. The DS will work.. As long as you do what your supposed to.... Take vits, eat right, have labs drawn... Ect ect ...I will tell you that I don't "depend" on my pcp for anything.. You have to be proactive and get help from the vets on your labs...and learn and ask question from people who have been there done that... Relax keep reading, keep educating yourself. Personally I would stop living on what ifs...keep asking questions.. Being nervous is normal but take it one day at a time... :)

SW 314-- CW 170-- GW 155   HT 5'7"  I love my DS !!
beemerbeeper
on 2/19/12 8:39 am - AL
If you are this afraid and you haven't even picked a surgeon yet you may just not be ready.  I would suggest much more reading/education about the DS and I also strongly suggest counseling.

By the time I was picking a surgeon I knew that the DS was what I needed to do.  Sure I knew there were possible complications and side effects as I had educated myself.  But by the time I picked a surgeon I was confident in my decision and was ready to tackle the pre-op process.  (Which can be daunting).

Freaking out is really not that helpful.

~Becky

mrsannie
on 2/19/12 9:55 pm
 OK been there!  You are always scared of the unknown, its normal!  your PCP can't really screw it up, the labs will tell you if you're low on something and you can tweek as you go along.  You will have diarrhea at some point, everyone does, but you'll figure out what you can and can not eat so you can control your "issues".  It gets easier as you go along, you are very sensitive in the beginning, but it gets better.

Keep your Dr. appointments and keep up with your blood tests and you'll be fine.  Be sure your PCP understands what you're having done and what you'll need going forward.  

And it will help!  There isn't one person on this board who it hasn't helped.  I also had a "Crap-Band" that didn't work, so I understand.  I am grateful everyday that I got rid of it and had a DS!  I only wish I did it sooner.  Life is really good now.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"