been gluten free........

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/12 5:07 am - Lafayette, IN
for almost 2 weeks! how long till i get symptom relief??
Emily F.
on 2/19/12 5:30 am
I would guess maybe you are not eliminating the right thing?
blackburn.vicki
on 2/19/12 5:43 am
 Did you also give up lactose? Most people who can't tolerate guten are also lactose intolerant.
NoreenRT
on 2/19/12 6:12 am - Warner Robins, GA
ditto here. after almost 3 years out, just recently i started introducing gluten back in my diet.  just a little goes a long way and i really need to stay away from all white flour products.  ate 1/2 a "grands" biscuit the other night and though i was going to pop.
lactose too, a little goes a long way.  milk, no way, american cheese produces too much gas.  the more expensive the ice cream or cheese, the more i can tolerate a little bit.

Noreen  HW 352 / SW 324 / CW 175/ LW/ 148 / GW 150   (achieved Aug 14 '11)

blackburn.vicki
on 2/19/12 7:28 am
 I can tolerate cottage cheese,yougart,butterand hard cheese oh parmason also but no processed cheeses. I drink unsweenened almond milk and eat only certified gluten products. Otherwise all hell breaks loose!!!!!!! 
beemerbeeper
on 2/19/12 8:27 am - AL
For me it is not just gluten.  It is also lactose and sugar alcohols.  But also if I eat too much sugar or carbs in gluten free/lactose free foods I can still get bloating and gas from hell.  One example would be soy or almond milk and gluten free cereal.  One bowl kills me.  And there is absolutely no lactose or gluten in it.

Whey protein powder gives me gas too.  I hate it because I love me some cake shakes.  I've tried other forms of protien powder (egg) and I can't figure out how to make a cake shake turn out right with that.

If you are really in a bad way you might want to clean yourself out with a round of flagyl and then get on a probiotic and a very limited diet with careful testing of different foods.

Even when I eat as cleanly as I possibly can I STILL have gas at times.

~Becky

J G.
on 2/19/12 4:54 pm
Becky, I think you and I have problems with about all the same foods ( I also have problems with sulfites, garlic and if I come near a pepper, you might as well start digging my grave, lol)  It makes eating in a restaurant difficult, doesn't it?

Last week I bought a box of gluten-free corn flakes at Whole Foods and had some with Lactaid milk.  Golly, I had gas for about the next 12 hours!  Geesh!  The ingredients were organic milled corn and sea salt.  So what was wrong there????  I do fine with an ear of corn. And I often drink Lactaid milk with no trouble.   I don't get it...
mrsannie
on 2/19/12 9:28 pm
 You should have felt relief right away, as said above you may not be eliminating the correct thing.

I can NOT eat any bread!  It gives me severe gas and pains my family as well!  ;)  I also eat gluten free, but some gluten-free items still bother me, so I think its a combo of the amount of carbs as well.  I can usually eat potatoes, unless I eat too much then it bothers me.  Many people are lactose sensitive.  I can eat cheese and yogurt, but if I can not drink milk and if I have ice cream I always take a Lactaid pill just to be sure.  Also as said above the better the ice cream (or yogurt) the less issues I have with it.  I guess it has less fillers, etc.

I don't know how far out you are, but as you go along it gets better.  I can eat more now (I am 2 1/2 years out) than I could in the beginning, everything gave me gas.  Little by little you'll figure out what bothers you, everyone is different.

Good luck!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"