But I had the Vitamin D shot....

Mannyb23
on 2/18/12 11:12 am - Fort Worth, TX

and I was told it was good for one year, but I had my 6 month labs done and my vitamin D level was 13 and so my primary care doc forwarded my labs to Dr. Stewart and I am now on prescribed Vitamin D. My folic acid is low so I have to take supplements for that as well and I am also on Iron meds because my iron was low (but that is not really anything new I have always been slightly anemic). Other than that I am feeling pretty good. Just wanted to update you all on that. I hope everyone is doing well. 

My new life is beginning!         
clpeltz
on 2/18/12 11:52 am
Don't bother with the script.  It is most likely D2 and in oil, which is useless for us.  You best be taking vitalady dry D3, 50,000 units twice a day to get that up!

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

nightowl
on 2/18/12 4:18 pm - Topeka, KS
I would take Vitalady's dry vit. D3 in pills of 50 thousand international units each.  That's too bad the shot didn't last.  I don't recall reading from others how long their shot lasted -- that's too bad it didn't work long for you.
newyorkbitch
on 2/18/12 11:15 pm
 The prescription D you are taking is worthless.

Order Vitamin D from vitalady.com RIGHT NOW and start taking 50,000 IUs every day.

NOW.  DO NOT WAIT.
lk1970
on 2/18/12 11:16 pm
I take 150k IU of D from vitalady, DAILY! Please place an order and bring those levels up

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

A. Holt
on 2/18/12 11:46 pm
Manny,

If you got the D from Dr. Stewart, it is probably the right kind.  He sells D3 50,000 by Biotech and all his patients seem to be on the correct D.  Double check with him, but don't pani****il you do, he "gets" it about the vites that DSer's need!

MajorMom
on 2/19/12 12:31 am - VA
Jut so you know, Biotech is Vitalady's supplier of dry vitamin D3, A, K1, K2 and E. She and Biotech share a booth at all the ASBMS conferences. So, if folks want a good price and do all their shopping in one place Vitalady is a good option.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

A. Holt
on 2/19/12 2:48 am
Yup and that's where I get it, but I was trying to make Manny aware that the option is available through her surgeon and if that's where she obtained her current D, it is more than likely the correct form.  I did forget to tell her to check with Dr. Stewart on the one he gave her.

She will save $$$ getting it through Vitalady.
adnerb
on 2/19/12 7:22 am
Wow, I had the shot too. I will be interested to see if my lasts as well. Thanks for sharing the all the info!
Brenda
blackburn.vicki
on 2/19/12 7:48 am
 How is your Magnesium levels? Even if your taking the right amount (250mg

magnesim citrate to 500mg calcium cirate) your mag levels could still  be low.

If your blood levels are low then on the cellular level your really low.

MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY & VITAMIN D

0 COMMENTS Aug 18, 2011 | By Owen Bond Magnesium Deficiency & Vitamin DPhoto Credit Jupiterimages/Goodshoot/Getty Images

Magnesium is a mineral known for its role in maintaining strong bones and muscle tone. It is also required by all the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D. Without adequate amounts of magnesium, vitamin D cannot be properly utilized. For this reason, magnesium is considered the most important of the five co-factors for vitamin D.

MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

The U.S. Department of Agriculture estimates that almost 70 percent of Americans are magnesium deficient, which is due in part to inadequate diet, but also due to the mineral-depleted soil that most vegetables and fruits now grow in. The National Institutes of Health recommends 400 mg of magnesium per day for men younger than 30 years and 310 mg daily for women in the same age bracket. Beyond 30 years old, the amounts increase to 420 mg and 320 mg respectively; 360 mg is recommended during pregnancy. Adults should maintain blood serum levels of magnesium between 0.7 and 1.0 mmol/L.

Swanson Vitamins Official Website - Shop Today. 10% Off Your Entire Order! www.SwansonVitamins.com Sponsored Links

MAGNESIUM AND VITAMIN D

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is involved in more than 300 biochemical reactions, including ones crucial for metabolizing vitamin D. Magnesium is also needed in each of the steps concerned with replication, transcription and translation of genetic information, thus it is required for the genetic mechanism of action of Vitamin D, as cited in "Vitamins: Fundamental Aspects in Nutrition and Health." Initial symptoms of magnesium deficiency include muscle cramps, which are often exacerbated by sunbathing because large amounts of vitamin D-3 are produced within the skin in response to sunlight and deplete magnesium levels even further. Supplementing with vitamin D can also exacerbate an underlying magnesium deficiency.

VITAMIN D CO-FACTORS

Vitamin D has co-factors that the body needs in order to utilize all forms of vitamin D properly. Without these co-factors, symptoms identical to vitamin D deficiency develop, such as fatigue, muscle aches, joint pain, depression, reduced immune system function and "soft bones" that lead to rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, as cited in "Human Biochemistry and Disease." The most biochemically involved co-factor is magnesium; the others are zinc, vitamin K-2, boron and very small amounts of vitamin A.

SOURCES OF MAGNESIUM

Although there are supplements on the market that include vitamin D with its co-factors, a diet rich in magnesium should allow vitamin D, even the large amounts that can be generated from being exposed to sunshine, to be processed properly. Excellent sources of magnesium include green leafy vegetables such as spinach and broccoli, dried fruits, fish with bones, most legumes such as lentils and peas, many seeds, nuts such as almonds and cashews, brown rice, bananas, chocolate, coffee and black teas. The richest source of magnesium per gram is dried seeds -- such as pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds -- which contain between 340 mg and 535 mg per 100 g serving.

#1 Magnesium Supplement Bio-Available, Well-Absorbed No Fillers, No Binders, OU Kosher www.IntegratedSupplements.com 1 Trick to Relieve Joints See How You Can Relieve Your Joints With This Fast and Easy Trick! www.Instaflex.com Natural Osteoporosis Cure Reverse osteoporosis naturally. No drugs. No side effects. www.elixirindustry.com 5 Foods you must not eat: Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods. Beyonddiet.com Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/424473-magnesium-deficienc y-vitamin-d/#ixzz1msG7T4QF