xpost: Probably wondering where I went?! Update! (long)

determineddanni
on 2/14/12 3:23 am

I will start from the beginning. I had my surgery on 12/19/11 w/Dr. Simper in SLC. Surgery went excellent! Was discharged 36 hours or so after surgery. Went back to hotel and started running a fever, so went back to hospital for another 2 days. I was discharged again and stuck around in a motel for 2 more additional weeks in SLC. In case of any complications (I am from Montana:distance sucks and healthcare is not the best in my town).

Started feeling better and flew home. Got home and was feeling great! Then 5 days later I am very sick and went to local ER. I tried to tough it out and ended up dehydrated and sick as hell. (I suggest being a wimp and don’t try to tough it out!) The local ER found an abscess right next to my stomach. Since I was in a ****ty state already and they were worried I would get septic, I was life flighted to SLC. I was then treated by my surgeon (didn’t know what caused this abscess and still doesn’t).

Treatment sucked! Having a draining tube put into your abscess sucks balls! They keep you awake and promise you won’t remember anything…well guess what I rememember! They put a big ass metal needle into me to direct where the tube will go. This process is slow because you have to be ran through a CT scanner periodicly to make sure it is going in correctly. So of course there is pain and if it wasn’t for feel good pills I would have slapped that doctor plus the nurses where holding my arms above my head. This tube gradually sucks out the infection into a little football looking thing which is emptied 2 times a day. Had a picc line put in too. I love the picc but scared the hell out of me it gets so close to my heart. I can taste all the meds they give me in the picc line… yucky! (picc line is a tube used instead of a needle IV and is placed in a main artery in your arm all the way up near the heart area) When they remove it you have to hold your breathe because you cant allow any air getting into the wound which would go to the heart. Other than the little scary factor loved it completely!

Ok sorry I just had to explain to all out there what an abcess is like.

So I was discharged 6 days after treatment and went home. 4 days later got the same symptoms and headed to the local ER (earlier this time). Abscess was back fully! Let me tell you no words can describe how down I felt at that moment. My husband discharged me against medical advice and drove me all through the night back to SLC. I was then treated again!! UGGG!! Screw that draining tube! (the tube being removed is the ickiest feeling the world and I don’t suggest that either) I stayed in SLC almost 3 weeks. Receiving IV therapy and frequent visits from my surgeon.

Today I got my other picc line out of me and had my draining tube removed 2 weeks ago. I am feeling great now!! My energy is low but that is expected. I havn’t taken much for vitamins for the past 2 months due to my abscess. So I need to get on those ASAP. I am getting all my water in and eating 3 meals a day. I am still on antibiotics and have been for close to 2 months, meaning my stools have not been solid since the antibiotics. I am taking a probiotic but not helping at all. I started a new job! Between my sickness boughts I went to an interview (yes I was pale as hell and felt like **** but i really wanted this job). Luckily I was discharged just in time to make it back for my first day! God works in mysterious ways. So that’s the update on me! I hope all newbies read this and see that sometimes its not easy street. Sometimes your thrown a wrench and you just have to really take care of yourself.

Special thanks to EN, MajorMom, Gina1, & Lisa. I really appriciate everything you did to help me. Gosh I missed you guys and I plan on posting more. Till next time!

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

teachmid
on 2/14/12 7:12 am - OKC, OK
I'm so glad you posted about your experience and that you're finally one the road to total recovery. I've wondered how you were doing.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MajorMom
on 2/14/12 7:24 am - VA
Danni!   It's so good to see you post--I've missed you. You've made my day. I'm so glad you;re on the mend and that is totally awesome about the new job. :)  Your DH is the best. Please tell him he done good and give him an extra hug from me.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fullhousemom
on 2/14/12 7:55 am
 I am so glad to hear you are home and hopefully for good this time.  You've been in my thoughts and prayers. Keep that positive attitude, even when life bites you in the butt!
determineddanni
on 2/15/12 12:34 am
Thanks! I just can't wait to feel 100%. Still have 1 week of 2000 mg of amoxicillin. Then two weeks more then a follow up with my doctors in SLC. It has been a ride and the support was deffinatly helpful when I was feeling down.

So much for no complications :(

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

Frankie
on 2/15/12 1:24 am - NY
I am so happy to hear that you are doing much better.  God is awesome, prayers go up and blessing come down.  Wishing you a continued recovery and good luck with the new job.

Frankie

Amanda-DS
on 2/15/12 3:20 am
sending healing vibes your way!! And I am sending the evil eye your way to thwart all bacteria from even daring to bother you again!!
Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

Valerie G.
on 2/15/12 4:58 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I'm so glad there's a happy ending to all of this!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bdocker
on 2/16/12 8:31 pm
You have such a great attitude.

Hope it's all downhill from here and you have the worst behind you.

So good to see you back and posting.

Brenda