momfirst2000
on 2/10/12 3:00 am - livermore, CA
DS on 02/29/12
 I have 19 days to go till surgery and i have to say nerves are starting to set in . i have never had surgery so that part scares me , i am not scared of the surgery just going to sleep and waking up with tube in my throat.. 
Valerie G.
on 2/10/12 4:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Trust me, you'll be too stoned to care.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

momfirst2000
on 2/10/12 4:47 am - livermore, CA
DS on 02/29/12
 Thanks Valerie !!!! But that is a good thing right !!!! 
fullhousemom
on 2/10/12 5:11 am
 Very few people wake up with the tube in their throat!   That has actually been discussed before here. You will do fine!  Waiting was the hardest for me. The actual surgery was a relief!  Best wishes!
beth-28
on 2/11/12 3:52 pm
Momfirst2000,

That was my greatest fear too. I wasn't worried about dying (although I would have hated that). I was (and always will be if I ever have surgery again) terrified of being/staying intubated. But I sailed through with no problem, woke right up and wanted to walk the minute I could! You'll see your surgeon (at least you should) right before surgery....mention your fear. He or she should be able to address your fears and reassure you.  Good luck!
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

momfirst2000
on 2/12/12 2:18 am - livermore, CA
DS on 02/29/12
 THank you i am glad i am not the only one that feels afraid of that . i am not scared of the surgery it is the walking up with tubes or being strapped in one place , i see my dr 2 days before so we will be talking about this .. 
justawhisper
on 2/13/12 11:23 am - urbana, OH
Oh, I remember those fears.  I had a c-section way back in 86 and was put to sleep for it. I was told I would be awake in 2 hours holding my new bundle of joy.  Well, I actually woke up 12 hours later.  So when I had my DS in 08 that was the one thing on my mind... The morning of the surgery I told the nurse of my fears so she went to get the anesthesiologist and we talked about my experience.  She assured me they have come along way since then, (roll your eyes if need be, but my fear was not letting me even think of that). She explained things enough that I was quite  a bit more calm, but then she told me they pretty much give everyone something called Versed that makes you very drowsy and you don't have too many concerns at all after getting this in your iv.  I remember the nurses saying good-morning to me in the er, but nothing else until I woke up. I somewhat remember trying to sit up/talk  and the nurse was right on me to get  the tube out.  

So I would like to encourage you to talk to your Dr, and the nurses. Get the info you need.  The fear of the unknown is what eats ya up.

Justawhisper
momfirst2000
on 2/13/12 11:36 am - livermore, CA
DS on 02/29/12
 Thank you ! I plan on haveing a long talk with my dr on the 27th which is 2 days before surgery and really glad you shared with me . know there is a million other things hould  be scarwd o but ging to sleep and waking up with tubes is it . I will be talking before .