Gas and bowel movements TMI (sorry)

SukieSookie
on 2/10/12 1:37 am
I have heard that after DS surgery some ppl can have chronic diarrhea, foul smelling gas and bowel movements and even a change in their body odor. Has anyone had any of these effects? I was wondering how common this is.

Thanks so much!
Susan 
geutenmorgan
on 2/10/12 1:49 am
Definitely smelly gas!! it mainly comes when I eat sugar and white flour. BM's change yes, it depends a lot on what I eat. Diarrhea is really only when I eat white flour stuff. Body odor, not so much. My hubby says I have a sweeter breath and I have a different/ sweeter taste in my mouth. I think that is from ketosis.
Bill I.
on 2/10/12 2:23 am - Ashton, IL
The body odor an diarhea stories seem to be just stories based on temporary events or tied to more than just the DS.

The somewhat stronger smell from gas and bowel movements is generally accepted as true but some foods can cause more effects than others so it can be somewhat predictable.

Even before the DS farts and having bowel movements did not make a rose garden boquet.

highest weight 425lbs - surgery weight 400lbs - goal weight 199lbs
Valerie G.
on 2/10/12 4:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Foul smelling gas - true - however controllable by what you eat.  What affects you varies from person to person.

Chronic Diarrhea - rare.  Now what's true and quite regular is loose stools.  It's just like a poop, but softer, but no running to the can in a panic or crapping your drawers.  I do this every morning, and that's it for the entire day, usually.  This can also be affected by what you eat.

Body odor -- rare.  I've never met anyone here in my neck of the woods that had any kind of body odor unless they farted.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

SukieSookie
on 2/10/12 10:30 am
 That is so weird to me, I wonder what makes the change in odor for the worse? Also, when the body odor changes, how does it change? For the better, for worse? Do you stink all the time? (I don't wanna be stinky and skinny) But I don't reallly want to keep being fat either.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
Susan
buffalobillsfan
on 2/10/12 11:40 am - CA
We get almost an identical post roughly every 3 months on this board.  Just curious when you say "I have heard"...who is saying this?  Is it doctors, people on other boards???

To answer though....some people have foods that don't agree with them.  It can be dairy, wheat, fake sweetners, etc, and it may cause diarrhea.  This may or may not be surgery related.  I don't know.  If they don't do some trials to see what works and what doesn't and stop eating the offending foods, then yes, maybe some people would have diarrhea.  The majority of people on this board are happy and healthy.  There will always be people outside of the "bell curve" who have issues.   They are also more likely to post them here than the "my life is great stories". 

There has been a couple of people that did truly have a body odor that was surgery related but it was a complication that I believe was fixed thru additional surgery.  That seems very very rare though. 

Gas and bowel movements stink to high heavens but we don't walk around farting and ****ting all the time just like we didn't as pre-ops.  This is because our bodies don't digest the food fully.  No, it doesn't come out whole, it just doesn't have as long to break down. 

SukieSookie
on 2/10/12 9:30 pm
 Thanks for all the honest answers everyone, I really appreciate it. As for where I am hearing the information, I'm still looking for a doc and I've been to a few information sessions. The "poop" and odor comments came from people at the sessions so I was just wondering how true they were.

Thanks again!!!
Susan
adkmtngirl
on 2/11/12 12:25 am - Brant Lake, NY
 Unless they are DSer's I'd take what they say with less than a grain of salt. I will say that as good as my hygeine was before my ds (and I still maintain the same hygeine) I fell more clean and less 'smelly' now. Why? I don't  sweat all the time just from walking up a flight of stairs or down the street. I don't have the extra moisture on my body between my fat rolls, so honestly,I probably smell better now than I did before. 

Gas and bm smells can smell really bad, depending on what I eat. If I eat too many simple carbs or lots of salad yup, I'm more smelly, but I know this so I don't eat them when I'm going to be around people. Though I do enjoy a salad every evening at home, because by the time it affects me I'm in my bedroom and my dh is typically sleeping in his truck thousands of miles away for work.
Kristina

Sher Bear Mama
on 2/12/12 12:43 am
 I'm almost 10 weeks out and have had no bowel issues whatsoever.  The only loose movement I've had was the day I came home from the hospital--it was a nervous stomach from the very long drive home.  Since then, my bowels are normal (normal for me).  I go about once every couple of days and it's of normal consistancy.  So far no foods have had any affect on my bowels and I've tried just about everything so far.  As far as gas is concerned there so far there are a couple of things that can cause it for me--tortillas (even just a bite or two), rice, and wheat bread.  But if I avoid those foods that bother me, I don't have any gas issues.  I'm very early out and things could definitely change over time, but I am pretty impressed that I haven't had any issues this early out since I know that some have the most issues early out.  

Everybody is different so there is really no way of predicting whether or not you'll have issues.  But from what I've heard, most bowel issues can be controlled with diet.

Good luck!!!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

nphelps4565
on 2/15/12 3:09 am - Belleville, MI
Sometimes I can have gas that doesn't smell a bit and sometimes I can have gas that will make you tear up!!!  All comes down to what I eat and how my DS insides process it.

I poop at least once a day and like clockwork.  Everyone morning I poop, and maybe again that day, usually depending on what I ate the day before.  I wouldn't call it diarrhea by any means, just a softer...easier poop.  And constipation can happen too from the vitamins, so you need to find a good balance between food, vites, fiber and fat.   I was a very regular once a dayer prior to my DS, so I might go a little more frequently now.

And that body odor thing is a line of crap! I probably smell better now then I ever did before my DS, since I quit smoking and rarely perspire. Whoever came up with that one is probably just jealous cause they gained all their weight back LOL 
Nicole
                                            Julie R. is my Angel