Do we malabsorb salt?

tonkasmom
on 2/9/12 9:18 am - Paradise, CA
I was just wondering today if we absorb all the salt we eat.  I have had some hearing loss issues and the Doctor thinks I have a fluid build up in my inner ear caused by too much salt.  I do like to use salt.  The Doctor wants me to cut my salt intake completely.  Don't think I can cut it completely - What would I do without my bacon?  HAHA So I started wondering about the malabsorbtion of minerals (salt)  Does anyone know of any studies regarding this strange question

Thanks
Donna

HW 370
SW 337/CW 160/GW 159

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/12 9:42 am
No salt malabsorption.  
tonkasmom
on 2/9/12 1:17 pm - Paradise, CA
Thank you for the information.  I did not think that we would malabsorb it but was just trying to preserve my relationship with my beloved bacon

HW 370
SW 337/CW 160/GW 159

newyorkbitch
on 2/9/12 10:57 am, edited 2/9/12 10:57 am
Are you also experiencing vertigo?

Also, what kind of doctor told you this?

tonkasmom
on 2/9/12 1:15 pm - Paradise, CA
I am not experiencing vertigo.
This was the ear nose throat doctor that told me this.  Over the past couple of months I have had some hearing loss in one of my ears.  I saw him in November after my first episode and by the time I got in to see him my hearing had returned so my hearing test was fine.  I also see an Audiologist which I saw in January when my hearing loss returned.  I called them to get my hearing tested because I could get in to see them quicker.  I wanted the test during my loss.  I went to the ear nose throat doctor again this last week and he thinks I might have meniers syndrome, which he says he believes is due to my salt retention.  I already take a small dose of diuretics for high blood pressure.  I am thinking that I need to have my dosage adjusted. 

HW 370
SW 337/CW 160/GW 159

newyorkbitch
on 2/9/12 10:03 pm
I have Meniere's.  It is easily dealt with by using diuretics.  I was put on triamterine and the hearing loss went away and I never had another episode of vertigo.

Try adjusting your diuretics and the issue may resolve.  I did not adjust my salt intake at all.
tonkasmom
on 2/10/12 2:58 pm - Paradise, CA
Thank you so much NYB for your reply.  I have an appt with my PCP in a couple of weeks.  I will have them increase my diuretics.  I am hoping that will resolve the issue.

Donna

HW 370
SW 337/CW 160/GW 159