What's the complication in which the pyloric valve dies?

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/12 8:16 am
 I've heard of one that had that after being switched from RNY to DS, her pyloric valve had atrophed and she had leaks. So she ended up having her stomach and pyloric valve removed.

Someone else had the DS done by a surgeon (not the greatest in mho) and she also had to have her stomach with the pyloric valve removed with a 2nd surgery by a different doctor.

So it can happen, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the VSG itself. 

Any time you mess with the stomach you can have side effects that are not very pleasant.
Renfairewench
on 2/12/12 11:04 am
Ummm...top paragraph..
That would be me.

Yes, it's true. I had an RNY in 1999 and a revision to DS in 2009. I had a lot of issues following my revision. I had a second operation on my stomach just 48 hours after the revision. This lead to a gastric leak, internal and external fistulas. Long story short I ended up with lots of strictures, pyloric atrophy, gastric leak and more (I'd be more than happy to share my story with you.)  In the end in order to get me healed I did lose all but about 3-5% of my stomach (basically I had a near total gastrectomy), and my pylorus. The strictures were so bad that they could not stretch them for fear of damage to them and further damage to my stomach. I also had a lot of strictures (adhesions) which were causing reduced blood flow the the lower part of my stomach. Had I not had it removed eventually it would have gone necrotic.

I don't really have a "pouch". I have a bit of stomach, with a smallish opening at the intestinal junction. I've been known to eat too fast and block it up, causing me pain and likely causing me to hurl. Not pleasant, but hurling does relieve the discomfort and pain.

Things can happen and do. As a revision and even as a virgin DSer one must consider the costs.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Jennifer D.
on 2/12/12 11:08 am
Very interesting!! I had a conversion from RNY to DS after 10 years and my pyloric valve still functioned. I had never heard of this happening with VSG. I had also never heard of the vagus nerve before researching this surgery and now it's the culprit of so many odd occurances.
Most Active