What's the complication in which the pyloric valve dies?

Tarragon
on 2/7/12 1:04 am
I heard of a DS patient I know *****cently has a complication 6 years after the surgery.  The way it was described to me, her stomach would stay full for too long, and examination showed that her pyloric valve was dead.  They had to remove it and convert her surgery to a gastric bypass.  Apparently this is a known possible complication from VSG surgery. 

That's ALL I know about it, which is next to nothing.  Has anyone else heard of this?  What's it called?  What causes it?
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/7/12 1:47 am
The only thing I've heard of that is similar, is the pyloric valve dieing after disuse after RNY. I've heard of people having the RNY reversed, and when they go to put things back together, the pylorus has atrophied, but that's all I've heard of.
Renfairewench
on 2/12/12 10:54 am
That was one of (many) my post op complication. My pyloric valve had atrophied from 10 years of non use. During the second operation I had they did scope and stretch it to make it work. It did, but very very sluggishly and not very effectively.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

maryc543
on 2/7/12 3:24 am
I've never heard of this......   is the malfunctioning pyloric related directly to the surgery, or advanced age, or other complications?   I'll try looking it up when I get home....   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Tarragon
on 2/7/12 3:28 am, edited 2/7/12 3:28 am
Supposedly it's a rare but known complication of VSG and of course the VSG part of DS. I have never heard of it, either. I am trying to get in touch with her directly to find out more--all I have heard so far is second-hand info. For all I know, it might have nothing to do with VSG.
Krazydoglady
on 2/8/12 11:10 pm - FL
It's most commonly a complication of diabetes.  VSG is now being used to treat Gastroparesis in Diabetics. They did a study at Columbia University. 

Other than on the Gastroparesis sites, I've never seen it listed as a complication to VSG. It  must be REALLY rare if it is. It was not included in the informed consent I signed for my surgery or in any of the mandatory training we were required to go through pre-op for my surgeon (in class, on-line, and handlouts). 

One of the 'complications' more often listed for VSG is rapid emptying despite the pyloric valve-- the opposite of Gastroparesis  -- which leads to reactive hypoglycemia.  I'd have to find the reference, but the suggestion is that the higher positive pressure in the sleeved stomach pushes food through the pyloric valve faster than normal (but  not at the emptying rate of say a RNY. One study I read suggeted 17% of VSG's go through it. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Valerie G.
on 2/7/12 4:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Since the plyoric valve is left functioning naturally, I'd like to know how a DS or VSG stomach could affect it?  I'd put it up as something that would have  happened if the whole stomach were left intact, too.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tarragon
on 2/7/12 4:27 am
I agree, I don't see how this can be a complication of the surgery, especially six years after having it done.  I am trying to contact her directly.  If I don't get a response via email I'll just have to go to one of the meetings and ask her.
Tarragon
on 2/7/12 4:59 am, edited 2/6/12 5:03 pm
OK, she got gastroparesis, which gastrectomy is a risk factor for:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001342/

She had a pyloroplasty to try to relive it, the pyloroplasty failed, and she ended up having her entire stomach removed. She did not get a conversion to gastric bypass as I had heard.

I believe that gastroparesis is a very rare complication of this surgery, as I've never heard of it and neither, apparently, have other more knowledgabpe people here.
Fade2Pink
on 2/7/12 5:35 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I am aware of a couple of DS patients who have had gastroperesis.  I do believe it is very rare, but obviously not unheard of..
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Most Active