Anyone else?

Emantha
on 2/5/12 9:56 pm
Hi, first, i have been a long time lurker, but this is my first post. please bear with me, as this may wander all over the place
 I have been researching DS for about 5 years, but this is the first year my insurance has covered bariatric surgery, and i have an appointment for my very first consult on feb 23. It is the one that lasts about 3 or 4 hours. It is where i have to sit through a lecture of surgical options then actually meet with the surgeon in person.

I am 5 ft  4 in, and weight 325 (ouch, did i just admit that out loud?)  So a bmi of around 54. I am pretty healthy, my blood pressure is good, my cholestrol is good, good choletorol is about 2 points too low, probably because i smoke,  I do have sleep anpnea, and some arthritis.

I have about a million questions to ask of people who have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt".
 I know i have read  and researched the ds for years, but now that it looks like i might actually be able to have the surgery, i am starting to get nervous.  I just did get started on Paxil about 3 weeks ago for depression, now i am going to have to have a psych eval for this surgery, and am concerned that by finally asking for help, i will have disqualified myself for this surgery.

I also have a rant about the "how your life will change" topic. DOes OH have a place i can just rant, because i really really need to, and i need it to be with other people who will understand what i am talking about LOL..
 And, Oh, i am looking for some real world advice about what to expect after surgery. I vivdly remember a post here from a woman who gave the advice to buy a couple bottles of witch hazel for the weeks following surgery. She said "the first few weeks poo is more acidic, and your rump will be sore, and witch hazel is very calming" I have remembered that for a long time because it is just ... excellent advice! 
 I am stopping now, because i don't need to ask everything all at once, and that is what i am trying to do.
  Thanks a million!

Huneypie
on 2/6/12 12:50 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
You can go to Rants and Raves is you need to rant, here's the link  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/unmoderated
Emantha
on 2/6/12 12:55 am
Thank you, i appreciate it.  i really do feel the need to rant a bit .   I need to vent and no one in my life seems to understand why LOL.
Nicolle
on 2/6/12 1:45 am
As far as the psych eval goes, they are not interested if you are crazy or not. They are just trying to make sure you are capable of being compliant to the surgery's lifestyle (protein, vites, regular labs). By asking for help (Paxil) you have demonstrated that you are willing to reach out for help and will be compliant. I would turn that on its ear and view it as a sign that you are interested in change.

Keep any rage you have in check. But do acknowledge any concerns you have. Be sure and tell them that you have the support of loved ones at home (even if you want to punch those loved ones in the face). They want to make sure you will have some emotional help in place for the upcoming changes. If you do not, you should get some!

I have met many bat****crazy people here (some are even OH moderators) and IRL who have gotten bariatric surgery and probably should not have. You'll do fine. Just make sure you look like you'll be compliant and that you have emotional support. Oh, and willing to seek outside help as needed. You'll do fine.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Emantha
on 2/6/12 3:33 am
Wow, you cut right to the heart of my fears LOL.  And nailed one of my big concerns. My husband (all 120 pounds of him) is supportive, if by supportive you mean "whatever, i don't need the details, if it helps you, i'll go to the dr with you". I don't want to punch him, i wanna squash him into a itty bitty ball and mail him back to his mama.(who is 100 pounds dripping wet).

*grins* ok, so i am pretty sure i am normal enough to pass a psych eval as long as they don't hold the paxil against me.
alldredget
on 2/6/12 4:27 am - Comstock Park, MI
My actual surgery date is Feb 23rd and like you I have been circling the bariatric surgery option for a number of years. For me, the biggest problem so far is the waiting. Once i finally decided it was for me I wanted to get on with it and it seems like every excuse to postpone keeps coming up.

Feel free to read my page on my journey and I will definitely be keeping it current as I go through the process.
PatXYZ
on 2/6/12 10:36 am
Most surgeons will not operate on a smoker, so you should put quitting at the top of your list of things to do to prepare.
fullhousemom
on 2/6/12 10:11 pm
 Oh, and dont worry about the Paxil. I take Paxil CR, which is a timed release. Yeah, DSers shouldnt, but if I absorb less, I figure it will be easier to ween myself off!  I have SAD and am on a low dose anyways.   I have heard that if you miss a day of Paxil, that it is really noticeable. Thats why my doc put me on CR. I wouldnt change if I were you, but remember to take your Paxil every dayduring and after surgery!  Your body will go thru lots of changes, including moods, and you dont want a missed dose to interfere with everything going on!

And lets face it, being morbidly obese can really be depressing!  Good luck with the WLS and look forward to feeling great!
Bill I.
on 2/8/12 7:05 am - Ashton, IL
Lots of good advice to be had here on OH - as you well know after 5 yrs of lurking.  I lurked for years before taking the plunge, and kind of for the same reason. 

Even if insurance covers you now there will be some hoops you'll have  to jump through.  You're bound to have at least a few more rants.  Just remember to save them for the right time and place!

This is the best place to start asking questions.

highest weight 425lbs - surgery weight 400lbs - goal weight 199lbs
alaja957
on 2/9/12 12:23 am
I know its not easy but quit smoking ASAP.  It is very dangerous to operate on a smoker because they have changes in their vascular system and the abilities for tissue to heal themselves.  They will screen your urine to make sure you are not smoking. 

The mental health? Do not worry as others have said.  I have OCD, which is well managed now after years of therapy and 4 different psych medications.  The evaluators asked me a lot of questions about how I manage it but I have passed 2 bariatric surgery psych evals.  Good for you for taking the steps towards treating your mental health as well as physical health. 

6/12/12 RNY to DS revision with Dr.Roslin

Most Active