Pyloric Valve

SukieSookie
on 2/5/12 11:39 pm
 I've been reading on the internet about the Pyloric valve and I think I understand what it is, but what I don't understand is why it is so important that one keep it in tact during weight loss surgery. Can someone explain this to me? 

Thanks so much,
Susan
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 2/6/12 12:16 am
the pyloric valve is what controls the rate at which food and liquids are moved from the stomach to the intestine. Keeping the pylorus prevents dumping syndrome. Dumping syndrome occus when food/liquids empties out too fast into the intestines, and that causes reactive hypoglycemia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, sweating and weakness.

in other words, you want to keep your pylorus intact. Surgies which preserve the functioning pylorus are the DS and the VSG.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

SukieSookie
on 2/6/12 12:49 am
 Thanks so much for the explanation!

Susan
Nicolle
on 2/6/12 1:05 am
I like the explanation given already. I would add that it's like a gate. That analogy seems to help me explain it to other people. You want a fully functioning gate at the bottom of your stomach to help regulate your food.

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Panda ..
on 2/6/12 8:48 am
Most Active