How common?

Reel
on 2/3/12 4:01 pm
Was curious to know how common is it for someone to have a RNY reversal to Duodenal Switch? I am not very familar with the procedure as at my bariatric clinic they only do RNY, Sleeve, and Lapband. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/12 10:35 pm

Many people *****vise revise to a DS. Unfortunately, you can count the number of surgeons who do this (worldwide) on two hands.

MajorMom
on 2/3/12 7:37 pm - VA
It's one of the most complicated revisions from my understanding. There are only a few DS surgeons that do this revision. I'm sending you a PM with a link to where you might talk with some of the folks. Also, there are a couple who still come here that I hope will chime in.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 2/5/12 1:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
We have quite a few, but they are right.  Finding a surgeon to do a true DS revision is the challenge.  Many will try to sell you on a distal RNY, or ERNY, which has all the headaches of the pouch with the added malabsorption.  The results aren't as equal as they try to tell you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Reel
on 2/5/12 3:47 am
 Ok thanks for the information. I was just curious. 
Renfairewench
on 2/5/12 9:41 pm
Fortunately, I live in a state where there is a vetted surgeon who used to do full RNY to DS revisions. I did revise from an RNY that I had done in 1999 and in 2009 had a revision from that to DS. My RNY was taken down and everything put back anatomically like before the RNY then revised to a DS.  I did have a LOT of post op complications and 18 months later ended up having to have all but a small portion of my stomach removed (along with my pylorus).   If you do revise from RNY to DS it is IMPERATIVE that you find a vetted surgeon who can revise you as the surgery is quite complicated an involved and many unforseen things can happen postoperatively and the surgeon needs to know how to deal with them.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Reel
on 2/6/12 3:02 am
 Thanks for the information. I am only 3 months out so I'm not looking to revise at this time. I was just curious. Thank you for sharing your experience. Thankfully you are ok now. 
Most Active