Have you had a leak?? Please share your story with me

rargirl
on 2/8/12 12:11 am
I had a leak when I had my surgery last February (also w/Dr. K). I did not have any unusual pain or fever, but I saw the green jello that I had eaten in my JP drain. (ugh... those drains were the pits).

Here is what happened.

1) went back to Dr. K as soon as I saw the jello in my drain
2) He ordered a test (xray?) Essentially I had to stand and drink some fluid really fast (so challenging 1 week out). They could see the leak in my stomach in the test.
3) Stayed in the hospital an additional week. I had bowel function the entire time. I was on IV fluids and antibiotics/no food. They wouldn't stop giving me all of those Heparin shots (ugh). We "waited to see" if the leak would self-resolve
4) Had another test to see if the leak was gone. It was not. I remember crying and feeling very upset.
5) A PIC line was installed in my arm and I was released from the hospital on TPN (liquid IV nutrition) - still no food or water allowed. Stayed at home like this for 2 weeks with the IV nurse visiting daily to give me various antibiotics and hook up my daily TPN which ran 24 hours a day.
6) spiked a high fever and went back to the hospital. They removed my PIC line and stopped the TPN.
7) MRI was done to see if leak was resolved (it was) - thank goodness! no more TPN
8) 1 week after the leak was resolved my drains were removed and I was finally on the mend.

Almost a year later I have lost over 140 lbs. I can eat basically anything although I know what is good for me and what is not. The leak is a distant and difficult memory.

The worst parts of this were the TPN and not being able to drink anything (I was soooo thirsty). I also started feeling hungry toward the end and amused myself by watching the Food Network LOL!
Most Active