Need help with post op liquid diet and proteins drinks!

bigben
on 2/2/12 11:19 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
Hi everyone,

I've been on  a liquid diet for 2 weeks, 1 week pre op and 1 week post op.  I can't take it anymore!!! My tongue feels like a sponge soaked in protein shake, I can taste the protein shake in my throat when I breathe, and it doesn't go away.  I thought the hardest part would have been not having any real food for so long, but I'm ok with that, I don't really feel like eating. But those protein shake are killing me!  I've got two more weeks to go with this diet, I have to get protein in or I guess the effect on my body will be similar to a two weeks hunger strike (not good!).   I tried a lot of different protein shakes, and a few powders with citrus taste etc... But they all contain artificial sweetener and a ton of chemicals and horrible artificial flavoring.

Is there any plain, tasteless, protein powder of liquid that can be disolved in water or juice out there?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bb.

Sher Bear Mama
on 2/2/12 12:51 pm
 I never had to do the liquid diet pre-op.  So from what I read, it sounds like you're one week post op???  When I was first post op I didn't get ANY protein down.  I got my fluids, ate apple sauce, tried mashed potatoes and cream of wheat, sucked on Popsicles, but I didn't get the protein.  I did buy some muscle milk--regular kind but chocolate and vanilla flavor--it went down OK--I just sipped on one and I was lucky to get one down a day.  I'm sure my body was being starved those first 2-3 weeks--I lost 23 pounds in about 2 weeks--but even now I struggle with protein shakes and I'm 8 weeks post op.  I'd say they are OK--I have to add raspberries (frozen) to mine in order to get them down but I didn't do that until I was more than a month post op.  If you're just out of surgery, I'd focus on getting fluids, walking, and then if you can find a tolerable shake, just sip it.  Also, Greek yogurt has TONS of protein--1 cup has about 22 grams.  So you can eat that too--I ate yogurt right away--that is if you can tolerate the lactose.

Good luck.  For more info from people *****ally know their DS stuff, see my signature.

Sher--the bear mama

bigben
on 2/3/12 1:31 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
 Yes, today it's been one week since surgery.  I did find a solution this morning, I was able to find unflavored whey protein at whole foods.  The brand is Jay Robb.  Mixed it with apple juice and water, was able to drink that with no problems.  I had no problem staying hydrated so far, it was more of a taste overload from these milky creamy protein powder shakes. I'm not supposed to eat anything until 3 week after surgery.  Thanks for your help!
Sher Bear Mama
on 2/3/12 1:57 am
 I'm STILL struggling to get my protein in.  Is the protein (Jay Robb) from Whole Foods really "unflavored"?  Does it have ANY taste at all--or texture?  If it works, I'm going out today to buy it.  I'll mix it with my sparkly water!

Sheri
Sher--the bear mama

bigben
on 2/3/12 2:16 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
 Yes, it's totally unflavored, it has a slight thicker texture but nothing compared to a protein shake.  Mixed with apple juice it went down very easily (doesnt coat your mouth).  Hope it works for you.  Thx
Valerie G.
on 2/5/12 1:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I wish I could tell you that something like that existed, but I can always taste the "whey" in everything, even if it pretends to be tasteless.  Try some carnation instant breakfast.  It doesn't taste like "protein"

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

bigben
on 2/5/12 2:46 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
 Thx Valery, the powder i found at whole foods is tasteless enough for me and hopefuly will keep my sanity under control long enough until i can eat food again.  Thx so much for your advice. Very apreciated
Most Active