Sleep Apnea Question - PreOp

Long2bLittle
on 2/2/12 11:53 pm - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
Yesterday I had my first Dr. appt. the internist decided on the tests that will need to be done prior to surgery. One of them is a sleep study, which I already know that I have sleep apnea. The Dr. said I will have to be on a cpap machine before surgery. I forgot to ask how long I would need to be on this before they would move forward with surgery. Has anyone had to do this? How long did it prolong your surgery date?

Thanks!

calendargirl
on 2/3/12 2:04 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

My doctor said I would need to be on the machine for 30 days.  

(They would go ahead and schedule the date for at least 30 days after I started cpap treatment.)

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

Long2bLittle
on 2/3/12 2:09 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
 Thank you!

I guess 30 days isn't too bad.

After the Doctor told me of all the risks associated with not using the c-pap, I can easily do the 30 days!
walter A.
on 2/3/12 8:14 am - lafayette, NJ
sleep apnea can kill you, , it caused me to become fat, it caused my coronary arrhythmia, and i have been on ci pap for over 20 years, long before i got heavy, and after i reached goal, i had sleep studies to prove it. sleep apnea is probably the worst of my comedies, including two different types of diabetes, high bp, (caused in part by AP,) a fib, apnea, barrettes, and a few others that add up to a Rx bill of about 25k.  
LEARN TO LOVE YOU CI PAP, ITS GOING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE.
bigben
on 2/4/12 1:16 am - durham, NC
DS on 01/27/12
  Sleep apnea is nasty, stealthy and very dangerous, I've had sleep apnea probably most of my adult life whithout knowing.  2 months ago I did the sleep study and have been using a machine since.  
It changed my life! 

More energy, able to function in the morning right after waking up, better mood, better at my job, more productive etc....  It was difficult to get into it but the benefits are worth the difficult adaptation time.  I've had surgery a week ago, and I feel better than I was feeling before the surgery.  The machine keeps my breathing and my oxigen levels where they need to be during the night.  I would stick with the program and use the machine if I were you.  If you don't you may fall asleep one night and never wake up.  The surgery fixes sleep apnea for most people, hopefully it's just a part of the process and you'll be freed of your sleep apnea soon after.

Good luck!

Long2bLittle
on 2/4/12 3:57 am - Wayland, MI
DS on 04/17/12
Thanks Ben!

I know it is something that I will have to do.  A small price to pay, really.

Thanks for all  your feedback!
mrsannie
on 2/4/12 8:53 pm
 That stupid cpap machine is a pain in the butt, hard to get used to just down right annoying, but it is something you must use if you have sleep apnea.  When I got my sleep test the Dr. told me that I woke up 71 times an hour (I don't know how that is even possible!)  So, I used that machine every night.  

Now post-op I no longer need it and have been free of it for over a year!  Yay!  My husband says I don't snore at all anymore and I wake up rested.  Another awesome perk of this surgery (I am also free of diabetes, cholesterol and high blood pressure medications!)  Its amazing how many things being obese causes to go wrong in your body.

Good luck on your surgery, its totally worth it! 

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Most Active