Trying again... Any Dr. Davis patients? I have questions (cross-post)

AmandaID
on 2/2/12 2:27 pm - Shoshone, ID
 Hi all!  Have any of you had DS with Dr. Garth Davis in Houston, Texas?    My dad, who's 57 an on disability due to weight/diabetes-related issues, is looking to have the DS finally, as his co-morbidities are catching up with him. (I had mine 6 years ago with Dr. Marchesini in Brazil, loved him, love my DS! Wish Dad could go there, but they can't, and besides, he's on Medicare, so it should hopefully be mostly paid for.) Due to my mom's job, they can't get up to Denton to the other Texas doctor that people on OH recommended. So, we would really like to find out actual information on Davis.   I've had a lot of people commenting on whether they like Davis or not, bedside manner, etc., but very little actual surgical/medical information. I was wondering if any of his former patients might be willing to share? If so, could you answer these questions for us?   Was your surgery open or lap? How long did the surgery take? Were there any complications? What is your common channel length? How did he determine this? What is your stomach size? How did he determine this? How long did you stay in the hospital? How were you treated in the hospital? Did you feel secure there? Did it seem to be a quality place? How well-informed about the DS are he and his staff? Do they truly understand the difference post-op between RNY & DS? How has the follow-up care been? Have you had any post-op issues that weren't original surgical complications? I've been told that he is a "bait and switch" doctor. Did you ever feel in danger that he might do an RNY on you instead of a DS? Is there anything else about him, his medical team, or the hospital that a patient needs to know?   Thank you so much in advance for anything you are willing to share with us!   :)Amanda in ID

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm

Samaro ..
on 2/6/12 11:49 pm
Dr. Garth Davis is not known for doing the DS.  There was some talk that maybe they (he and his father) would start performing the DS but I don't know that much came of that.

Some members here who might be able to help you with more specific information are listed below.

Nicolle spoke with Garth Davis at an event in Chicago.  They spoke about the DS.

Nicolle

Slim Shady is a DS patient as well as a physician in Texas.  He is very well versed in who does what in the bariatric world down there.
slim_shady

travis1985
on 2/3/12 5:15 am - TX
Hi Amanda, PM sent.
J G.
on 2/3/12 2:08 pm
Amanda, how about going to Dr Stewart and leaving Mom behind at home.  That way she can be fresh and ready to handle the after care when he gets home?
AmandaID
on 2/4/12 5:39 am - Shoshone, ID
 They are in Texas with no other friends/family close by (we are all in Idaho) ... they have traveled there for my mom's job, will be there until April, then will be moving on to another location (yet to be determined). Dad can't get to Denton on his own, go through surgery, etc., with her being hours and hours away and him all alone. Won't happen. She's in a high-stress position with very demanding hours. I know it "shouldn't" be what drives his surgeon option, but it has to be taken into consideration, unfortunately. Real life interferes sometimes. They'd rather do it in Houston with a surgeon who is skilled and seems really well-rated in his other surgeries than not do it all; he just hasn't done many DSes yet. I worry about that, as well, but I worried about that with my sister and cousin and two friends going to Oakley in Idaho and they all had good surgical results (although he's an ass) -- and he's not nearly as highly rated in other surgerical history as Davis is. So that's where we're at. I hope to get some medical results from people, still. Thanks all! :)

Amanda in ID
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150

J G.
on 2/5/12 3:52 am
Amanda,  the "bait and switch" possibitity would bother me...Is there any possibility you could afford a nurse to stay with him while he was away from home and Mom?  I traveled on day 3 afterwards but I sure day 5 or even 7 would have made a big difference comfort-wise.
AmandaID
on 2/5/12 4:02 am - Shoshone, ID
 I'm hearing that his "bait and switch" is actually just more in the pre-op consultations; that once he says he will do DS, he does. And my dad does have a BMI and uncontrollable diabetes, so he's a prime DS candidate, and one I think (now hearing more) that Davis would agree to do DS on. So I'm not really worried about that anymore. They can't afford a nurse, and with my Dad's anxiety about doctors and hospitals, there's no way he'd do it without my mom there anyway. Thanks for the input, though! :)

Amanda in ID
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150

scubadiva
on 2/5/12 12:35 am
A know a  few of Garth's DS patients.  They are doing very well.  I know them in person. His father is doing them too.  They are very selective though as to who gets a DS I believe.  They just aren't doing many, but they ARE doing them.  They are good surgeons... still farily new at the DS... but are good surgeons in my opinion and only want the best for their patients.  I think they still prefer doing the RNY though.   More comfortable with it.
AmandaID
on 2/5/12 1:53 am - Shoshone, ID
 Thank you! 

Amanda in ID
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150

scubadiva
on 2/5/12 2:08 am
There is a DS support group in Houston that meets monthly. It's called HADS.  Some of the Davis'  DS patients attend.  Oh, and their nurse, Jamie Carr, is very familiar and supportive of the DS.  Good luck!
Most Active