Extra Skin...

Bigkev6195
on 2/2/12 12:07 am - TX
DS on 02/08/12
I am new to the board and have not seen any posts about how many people end up with too much extra skin that has to be removed, and if so, has anyone been successful in getting the insurance company to cover those surgeries?

thanks,
linda1814
on 2/2/12 3:08 am
Some excess skin is inevitable.  The degree of laxity varies based on your age, the condition of your skin, how long you were overweight, how much extra weight you carried, where you carried it.  The plastic surgery board is a good resource here.  I haven't checked it out on the new site yet but I'd expect people there to be more than willing to share their experiences as well.  

Plastics is hard to get covered unless you're experiencing other health related issues like skin breakdown, infections, backaches, etc.  I think the most common thing that I've seen covered is panni removal but people often opt to pay extra to also get a tummy tuck which isn't often covered.  I'm not expecting my insurance to cover any of it and I need both an upper and body lift with my arms being the worst thing on me.  The other stuff can be hidden more with clothes.  I do think that some of my skin laxity has improved over time.  I had my first PS consult 2 years ago come April but I think some areas have snapped back a little.  A surgeon will want you to be at a stable weight for at least a year before they think you should have plastics.

My Macronutrient Breakdown

Daily Average for the Last 30 Days

Like this widget? Get your own at ObesityHelp.com

Valerie G.
on 2/2/12 6:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Yep, it's just one of those things that we expect to happen and pray it's not too terrible.  There is no magical exercise, cream or lotion to prevent it either.  You just wait and see.  Call your insurance company and ask if it's covered.  They should disclose that freely, or what will be required

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AmandaID
on 2/2/12 2:30 pm - Shoshone, ID
 Yes, I lost 150 pounds, so I had quite a bit of excess skin. I traveled to Brazil, the plastic surgery capital of the world, to have a highly-skilled, amazing plastic surgeon do reconstructive plastic surgery on my to remove 13 pounds of skin. Unless you have medical issues due to the skin (yeast infections, etc.) insurance doesn't usually cover it. But a little extra skin is a lot better than a lot of extra weight!

Amanda in ID
DS ~ Dec. 7, 2005, with Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba, Brazil
sw289/lw135/gw137/cw150
PS ~ June 6 & 19, 2008, with Dr. Kuster, Vila Velha, Brazil
check out my website at http://myweb.cableone.net/aeller5/DS/default.htm

Bigkev6195
on 2/2/12 8:02 pm - TX
DS on 02/08/12
 Thank you all for the information.  Now I just need to not be so nervous about my surgery next Wed...
J G.
on 2/3/12 2:15 pm

Don't be nervous, you'll be in good hands.  In another week or so you'll be feeling better and wondering why you were worried. 

oh, and it really helped me to think of all the great success stories from this board while I was lying there waiting to go into surgery.  Try it!