National Donor Registry List

Lisa R.
on 2/2/12 6:07 am - Madison Township, PA
Hello all...it's been a long time since I've been on here, but everytime I need an answer, this is where I come.

I should know the answer to this, but I don't.  As DSers, I know we are not supposed to donate blood, but...how risky would it be for us to put ourselves on the National List?  I have a dear friend whose aunt will be in need of "something" to combat her rare form of leukemia.  I would like to be tested for her obviously, but I was wondering if this surgery takes us out of the running, so to speak.

I'm over four years out, and I'm doing pretty well.  No issues at all...

DS Surgery with Fernando Bonanni, Abington, PA 12/26/07

TT, Lift and Implants with Dr. Christian Kauffman, Danville, PA 5/12/17

My heart wrestles in a kilt

LoveLifeHappiness
on 2/3/12 3:19 am - NC
I'm not sure how to answer your question, but I've never been told that I couldn't donate blood.  I was told to wait at least 6-months post-surgery before donating, but otherwise, it's fine.  I actually gave last week and was fine afterwards.  Anyone else heard that we're not supposed to donate?
Janet P.
on 2/3/12 3:43 am
I was told never to donate blood, ever. I would assume the national registry is for bone marrow. I would suggest talking to your DS surgeon before signing up.

I would make sure you check your labs, specifically iron and ferritin. I would think donating blood could cause anemia.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny